Untitled Part 3

I wake up to the sound of laughter. Who is that?

I yawn and sit up. Thalia is sitting up next to me.

'Who is that?' she asks.

'How would I know?' I grumble. 'What time is it?'

'Five thirty.' She yawns.

I get up and walk over to the blown out window. On the street five kids are walking past the factory, laughing. They don't seem to notice the people shying away from them or the early hour. It seems all they care about is the joke they're laughing at.

'What is it?' Thalia asks.

'Just a bunch of kids.' I tell her.

'We're a bunch of kids.' She says.

'No, we're not.' I say under my breath, then louder, 'Rich ones.'

'Oh, that makes more sense.' She mutters getting up.

'Should we wake them?' I ask looking at them lying on the mattress, sleeping peacefully.

'No, let them sleep.' Thalia sighs, 'So, who does what today?'

'I'll do food again and you can do other stuff. Leo's got a fever again and Hazel's got a cough.' I tell her.

'Great.' She says sarcastically.

'Come on, we should go.' I say picking up a plastic shopping bag.

On our way out a voice calls out, 'Where are you going?' it's Hazel.

She runs to us.

'We're going out.' Thalia tells her.

'Why?' she asks.

'Because we have to.' I say.

She smiles sadly and it doesn't surprise me at all because while she may be nine she doesn't act like it..

'Will you come back early? I've got a painting I want to show you.' She smiles.

'If you get back into bed.' I say.

'Okay.' She nods and runs back to the mattress.

We walk out onto the street and nearly crash into the laughing kids but if years of living on the street give you anything it's great balance and the ability to stop very suddenly.

'Whoa.' I mutter just managing not to topple over.

Thalia looks murderous and I sent her a sharp look. She shrugs and mutters something under her breath. I turn back to the kids and find that they're blocking our way.

'Um, could you move?' I ask.

'Yeah, sorry.' a brown haired girl at the front says and they move of down the road, still laughing.

'How can there be so much in the world to laugh about?' Thalia mutters.

'I have no idea, Thals, I have no idea.' I say, shaking my head. We continue on our way