Chapter Two •

Two months went by with no word from Bay. I know she is in New York City but other than that I know nothing. Steven has called several times throughout the months asking if we have heard anything from Bay. I would not have said yes even if I had heard from her. I sit down with my perfect two year old boy to read a book when my phone goes off. I ruffle his hair and get up to see who wants me. I smirk at Bay’s note. Looks like the runaway bride finally had enough of hiding and wants some coffee. Mathew protests as I dress him for the cool streets of New York City. We arrive at the coffee shop before Bay so I order a cookie and milk for Mathew, raspberry ice tea for Bay, and a hot mocha for myself. Mathew runs to a table near a window and we sit down to wait for our order. I listen to Mathew babble about his teachers while we wait for Bay. She must be caught up in traffic. The bell on the door goes off and I check behind me to see Bay in a stylish pea coat, dark-wash skinny jeans, and ankle heels while I was in a stereotypical house-wife outfit. Although, I would expect nothing less from Bay since she works at a fashion magazine headquarters. Mathew squeals when he sees her and jumps out of the booth. She scoops him up in one swift movement and continues walking to the table.

“Hey girl,” she greets

“How are you?”

“I’m good, still apartment hunting.”

“Where are you looking for one?”

“That’s for me to know and you to not.”

I smirk at her and open my mouth for a witty come back when the worker calls my name. I scoot out of the booth and walk to the counter. The door rings and I look to see Meagan walking through the door. Crap. She spots me and smiles kindly. I should assume she will come up to me to talk but a part of me begs that she will leave me with a smile.

“Hello,” she greets as she fixes her knitted hat, why does everyone look so cute today?  All these damn young people.

“Hi!”

I check over her shoulder to see Bay talking to Mathew as they look at his batman shirt. My discreet look must not have been so discreet because Meagan turns around and gasps. Bay must have felt our stare because she glances at us then does a double take. Her eyes widen and she jumps out of the booth and sprints for the door. Meagan ran at her and tackles her to the floor.

“You bitch!” Meagan screams as she straddles Bay’s stomach and weakly slaps at her face, “you broke my brother’s heart!”

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Bay screams as she blocks the weak slaps.

“Do you know what that did to our family?” Meagan screams as her weak slaps continue. She must be heavier than she looks because Bay hasn’t been able to push Meagan off of her stomach.

While the two wrestle Mathew crawls out of the booth and stands by their heads in confusion. I don’t dare get in-between the two so I hold Mathew back as he looks on. The workers stare at the two women on the ground in disbelief.

“Stop it!” Bay screams after Meagan slaps her multiple times in a row.