Chapter 6: First Encounter, The Dialadect Ambush

Chapter 6: First Encounter: The Dialadect Ambush

As we run into cover from the searching eyes of the Dialadect, Yashin pulls out a whistle.

“I am going to try and call my steed. If he can get here in time, we may be able to out run them. If not, I don’t fancy our odds fighting them on foot.” He blows his whistle, and then pushes me forward.

“I also should keep it in mind that doing so might give away our position, so keep moving!”

We rush through the tree line, moving quickly even as the Dialadect howl and scream as they search for us. After several long, tense moments, we begin to hear the clatter of hooves in the distance. Yashin allows a faint smile of relief to cross his face, but it is wiped off when the owner neighs.

“…That doesn’t sound like him. Is that some other horse? But why would another horse respond to his whistle?”

Out from the bushes, a massive horse bursts into view. If I could call it a horse. Its body seems solid, yet is composed of blue lightning. Its mane is a wave of arcing electricity, and its eyes glow neon blue. It rushes towards us and at the last second, scoops us up with its head and deposits us on its back.

“Lord Equine?” Yashin seems to ask the horse in wonder.

Yes, I am the Horse lord Equine, the first horse in fact. I’m here as a favor, I was only supposed to retrieve Danica, but since you were in trouble, I came to your aid as well. Now, I suggest you hold on, because this is not going to be a smooth ride.

He gallops at incredible speed out from the forest, and into the plains. As soon as he does, the Dialadect take up pursuit on their hideous mounts, waving their spears and axes in bloodlust.

Hmmph. A couple million years and they’ve learned little. My mouth opens wide, and before I can say anything: And yes, I really am that old.

His speed increases in seconds, the landscape blurring all around us, and the city fast approaches us. He turns, and as he passes the city, he bucks, knocking Yashin off his back.

I’m sorry, but that’s as far as I take you. You can handle yourself this far, can you not? As for you, Danica, we must travel a great deal further than this. You said that you want the races to work together against this threat? Well, now’s probably your only chance.

Where are we going? I ask.

Why Danica, we’re going to visit the dwarves in their great halls of stone. At least you are. But I must guarantee that you arrive there safely.

…Ok, but who sent you to get me anyway? The person who sent you as a favor?

…I’m not sure she’d want me telling you. And by the way, you ask so many questions. Ever had a question jar?

Ha ha.

He turns on a dime, and gallops off towards the mountains to the far south, the lands of the dwarves. Unfortunately, our friends we picked up have already caught up to us. Arrows and spears fling past our heads, and the sounds of their swords being unsheathed can be heard.

Equine neighs in annoyance. While I pilot, perhaps you could do something about those irritating scum brandishing their weapons at us.

I’ll get right on that.

I rummage around my travel packs for a ranged weapon, and pull out a heavy duty bow.

This should work…

I string an arrow onto the bow, and take aim at one of the Dialadect’s heads. I let it fly, and the arrow lands solid in between its eyes. It makes a weird howling noise of pain, and it indicates for the mount to slow down. It yanks the arrow out, and then roars; flesh where its mouth would be rips open to reveal a cavity with needle sharp teeth.