Chapter 10: Power Beneath the Mask

I ready myself, drawing my duel swords, hardly expecting a good outcome from this. Signas looks at me, and calmly points his index and middle finger at me.

“Lightning,” He says softly, I almost don’t catch it, and I dodge at the last second, as a massive arc of electricity bursts from his fingertips, missing me by only an inch.

So his main element is lightning? Usually people can only use one element, but then again…

I take a risk and dive at him, swords raised to skewer him. He looks up at me, and opens his hand so that his palm is exposed towards me.

“Fire.” He commands, and a massive fireball erupts right in my face, singeing my whole body in searing flames. I manage to get out with only minor burns, had I stayed longer, I would have been toast, literally.

Alright, Lightning and Fire, no problem. That’s his two main elements. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but there should be no way he knows more elements than that.

Even still, he’s no pushover if he uses gestures like this. I’m pretty sure that if you master the art of gestures, you no longer need to vocalize commands in the ancient dragonic language. I need to get towards the earth, where I have an advantage with my Earth Fairy War powers. If I can get him close to the ground, I should be able to counter him with my own magic more effectively.

I begin to fly away from him, towards the outskirts of town, flying as fast as I can. Only a minute later after I’m sure he’s decently behind me…

“What do you think you’re doing? Running from a fight?” Signas says almost in a bored tone, before kicking me in the face.

My body goes sailing back towards the city straight for a skyscraper.

Oh shit, this is gonna hurt… and I can’t stop myself in time…

CRASH! I break through the whole building in a mere second, and erupt in a shower of dust and glass through the other side, and keep flying until I hit a second one, and continue flying, right into Signas, who is waiting for me at the other end.

“Come now, this is easier than my morning exercises.” I spin around, and slice him in half. His top half looks down at his bottom half and then looks at me.

“Danica, look again.” I look in alarm as his two halves freeze over and become solid ice.

Ice as well? But then…

“KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE FIGHT, PXIE!” Signas yells as a massive whirlwind blasts me straight into the ground, the ground cracking and uplifting from the force.

Wind too? What the hell is going on? Don’t tell me he can… use all of them?!

“That’s right, Crown. I’m glad you’re noticing. The average spellcaster only has two main elements, and cannot hope to learn more than those two. Even the elves are bound by this limitation. I however have no such limits. In fact…”

He raises his hand and closes it in a fist at me, and the ground starts rising up like a shell around me, intent on crushing me to a bloody pulp.

“I will say that’s impressive, but earth won’t work on me!” I growl as the earth shifts to my control, and I form it into a suit of armor. I raise my swords and shift into a defensive stance.

For a moment, Signas is quiet. Then…

“Hmm hmm hmm…” Is he… laughing?

“Ha ha ha, very funny. But seriously,” He says, punching me in the cheek and shattering my earth armor as if it was glass, “Don’t pride yourself over such weak abilities. It makes you look even weaker.”