Scented

This is my second story on Wattpad, and second werewolf story that is still in the process of being completed. This is all my writing created from my own imagination, so don't steal it. Enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Their howls and cries keep the humans awake at night. Especially when it's the night of the full moon. Hardly anyone ventures out in the middle of the night because of the fear that has been struck in all of the people in Atqasuk, Alaska. Their mangly fur, claws the size of a human hand, and their vicious demon eyes are enough to make anyone run screaming for their mother.

Legends of those beasts say that they wait in the twilight to slit the throats of roaming passersby and feast on their remains. Or the one about the young maiden in the red cloak who was saved by the Hunter, along with the grandmother. We all know that those folk tale have now been proven true.

Ever since the plague hit a hundred or so years ago, millions of people have been victem to the disease. Some humans have hid from them, cowering in fear of the horrible beasts. Others have formed groups that hunt for the beasts who have slew their loved ones. 'Don't go outside' mothers tell their children. 'Aim for the heart' men instruct the young Hunters when equipped with a gun. But there is one rule that all people of Atqasuk, and many other towns, have to abide by. 'Never, ever, let them catch your scent. Because if they do, you just might be mate to one of the wolves, and death is more favorable that being their mate.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"No way in hell am I letting you join the Werewolf Hunters," Jedediah told the sixteen-year old girl as he walked down the corridor, towards the weapons room. "You'll get yourself killed out there in the field." He opened the door to the weapons room and strolled in. Weapons of all kinds were hung from the walls in the rather small room. Crossbows, arrows, guns, and swords melded from the finest silversmiths, and an area for target practice.

"No I won't!" Alexandra protested and followed behind him, occasionally sneaking a glance at the equipment displayed on the walls. Oh how Her fingers ached to be wrapped around the hilt of one of those finely crafted swords. "Besides, I'm sixteen, which is legally the age I can become a Hunter." She smirked, proud of her reasoning.

"Yes, for boys" the balding, burly man shot back. "Girls can't join the team when they're sixteen because of their lack of skill in the area of, well... Anything where you have to get down and dirty."

Alexandra shot lethal daggers with her eyes into the back of Jedediah's shiny dome. Jedediah halted, as though sensing her deadly glare, and turned to face Alexandra. "You sexist pig!" she exclaimed, looking up and pointing her index finger in his face. Jeremiah only dispersed a hearty chuckle.

"I'm not sexist; I'm practical." He concluded. "Besides, I don't think that your father would appreciate sending his little girl with guns and arrows out to kill monsters."

Alexandra huffed in defeat and slouched her shoulders, suddenly bored of the subject. It was the same argument that they had found themselves in every time she attempted to approach the subject, and in the end she is shot down by the threat of her father. Daniel Hayse struck fear into all living souls, both human and beast, though everyone one knew that Alexandra was his soft spot. His small ice blue eyes that could kill a man with a mere glare, his tall stature, and his overall demeanor that emits power. She wished that she could be as intimidating as her father, that way, she wouldn't be viewed as a dainty little girl-though she hardly was one- and would have be allowed to join the Werewolf Hunters, which was her lifelong dream, and avenge her mother alongside her father. She'd be honored with the title of 'Alexandra the Almighty Werewolf Slayer' or perhaps simply 'Alexandra the Brave'. Until her true potential wad revealed, Alexandra would have to settle for polishing the weapons and being known as 'Alexandra, Daughter of Daniel Hasye' and to others, simply 'Alexandra' or even 'Alex'. The only trait she received from her father was her unruly, curly dark brown hair that was a pain to brush through in the early mornings.