Nightmare

"You want to go out, with who?" Bruce asks suddenly getting defensive and taking a swig of coffee.
"A boy. Called Andy." I say glancing hastily at the floor.
"You don't know him, not well enough for that." He says, taking his usual place looking out of the window in the direction of the city. The lights blink in the darkness through the rain drops trickling down the glass pane.
"It's just a case of going out for lunch somewhere or for coffee, it's not even really a date", I add, gently kicking up the corner of the rug with one foot.
"I'll think about it" he states firmly, before adding "don't do that".
Somehow from his tone of voice I decide this is a resounding no shrouded in a maybe. I sigh but know not to push it, he has after all just received news of my fight and reminded me how lucky I am that he believes in second chances.
"Well, i'm going to bed now. Goodnight" I say in a disheartened tone.
Bruce looks somewhat apologetic for a moment before shaking it off and resuming his solid resolve.

'Was worth a try', I think to myself.

It starts out like any other, through the blanket of darkness, my chest rising and falling slowly - though i'm unaware of it - and suddenly my mind is active. My subconscious permeates the nothingness which fills the expanse of my subdued and peaceful mind. A dream slowly sets in motion, the setting forms and the colours gradually bleed in, as it unfolds before me. Suddenly there I stand. Back in that purple dress in the shop, they storm the place and, as had been the case in real life, I don't manage to escape like the others. Another round of gunfire sounds, it feels like it rattles my bones. The feeling of dread as I hide under the rail of dresses. That twisting of my stomach as I waited with baited breath, hoping, praying that they would not discover me. Then I feel someone grip at the fringe of the dress, panic surges through me, prickling every nerve. With every fibre of my being I feel the fear. Fight or flight. I try to wriggle free but only result in feeling my body slide towards the hands that have the endless ruffles of my prom dress-to-be in their clutches. I struggle, trying to find something- anything at all to grip on to. I hear tearing noises as my thrashing and
being dragged out from underneath the clothes rail destroys several items.
Everything is the same...
Until I am no longer in the shop.

I am now in the hall at school. Standing in the fading evening light. I try to remember why i'm here so late. I wander the halls looking for any sings of fellow students. The tendrils of the setting sun weave weakly in through the windows to the  west, casting long shadows and lighting up the particles of dust which hang in the air as if time has ground to a halt.
I turn around to see a crowd of the students all in masks. Confused, I try to make out anyone familiar, I notice Andy and his friends. I try calling out to him, but instead of getting a reply he starts to laugh. Slowly everyone else joins in. A chorus of animal shrieks and howls. I turn and start to run down the hall as they follow suit. Panic guides me.

"You can't run Stella" shrieks Lizzy.
"We're going to kill you bitch!" crows Brad.
I desperately want to drown out their threats. But they keep coming.
"At least when you're six feet under ground none of us will have to suffer looking at you ugly face anymore" from Regina.
I glance back as they continue to taunt me, catching sight of Andy. This time he speaks;
"I'm going to carve your pretty little face" he announces before winking at me.

Horrified, I turn a corner and come to two double doors. As I scrabble, fingers trembling, to open them I find that I can't. They are locked and there is no way to unlock them from this side. The howling seething mass of students have nearly caught up with me. Still in full panic I begin to beat my hands against the door, yelling and screaming. Frantically I try to force through by slamming in to one door a few times with my shoulder... but it's no use. I take a few steps and run full tilt at it. The transferal of force knocks me to the floor, it barley budges. I know it is hopeless now. I screw my eyes shut as the mob swarm me like a pack of dogs. Biting, tearing and howling.