Insomnia

"I trust you had a good day Miss Walker?" Alfred says eyeing my still damp clothes and hair suspiciously.

"Yes thank you Alfred" I answer trying to make it sound believable as I climb into the back seat of the car, tossing my school bag in as I do so.

"I wasn't aware that it had been raining today..."

"I'm fine Alfred, honestly." I reassure firmly.

"If you say so - don't worry I shan't mention this to Master Bruce, I'm just curious."

After a few minutes on the road I decide to explain.

"The three mean girls had to assert their dominance I suppose... When I didn't react to the water they said they'd make my life hell... But I'm not worried; I've made some strong friends - beneficial alliances you could say." I smile.

"Ah, I expected as much. I'm sure you'll be fine Miss Walker, just don't draw to much attention to yourself alright?"

I think immediately of the fight at lunch and decide not to mention that particular chapter of my days at school to either of them, ever.

"I know" I nod.

We continue in silence until we reach the gates to Wayne Mannor.

"I miss practicing my mixed martial arts" I say as I'm hauling my schoolbag from its place on the back seat.

Alfred looks surprised.

"Why is this shocking to you? I told Bruce..." I ask when I see his expression.

"I'm not sure, you'd better not be trying it anytime soon. You are still healing, don't want to set yourself back another few months do you?"

I knew what he said was probably true.

"No"

I sit down at the table in the kitchen and get out my maths homework. Alfred switches the oven on.

"What will it be tonight then?"

I think for a while before answering: "whatever you want Alfred, I still feel bad about all this"

"How many times Miss Walker, it's my job. Besides I enjoy it"

I sift through the pages of a nearby recipie book and stop on some easy looking enchiladas.

"How about these?"

"We have the ingredients for those. Okay. Did you want to do your homework in the dinning room?"

"Nah, I'm glad of the company and I like watching you cook"

He smiles.

After dinner I head upstairs to use the computer. Bruce still isn't home at eight. I decide to wait up a while, but not past ten as I have school the next morning. Having finished the only homework I was set I decide to continue my internet research in to the crazed inner workings of Gotham city. I am only slightly surprised to hear that my attackers are still at large and that GCPD 'has no current leads' . It makes me increasingly angry to read about the stories of others; the countless un solved murders, disappearances and other crimes which the police department are shrugging off and have been doing since what seems like the beginning of time. I also find out that my clown 'friends' are a complex pair. The joker doesn't seem to have any apparent solid backstory but Harley Quinn was formerly Dr Harleen Quinzel at Arkham Asylum, until she fell in love with her patient, and sprung him out of there and all that.

I notice a new email from Jake. A faint glimmer of hope that is extinguished as soon as I open it and it is just one sentence long;

"I hope you recover soon, sorry so busy at the moment"

I sigh slightly. I guess he has schoolwork like me but probably more of it... And normal friends, a normal life. I laugh slightly at the craziness of it all.

"What's so funny?" Comes a voice from the doorway.

I swivel round on my computer chair to see Bruce, who looks very tired, standing there.

"You are so quiet it's scary... I was laughing at my life, it's not normal. Kinda just had that little epiphany - it's about time!" I trail off laughing and realise I sound just a tad insane.
I cough, "It's been rather a long day, sorry. My mind is reeling and nothing makes any sense." I jokingly make the 'screw loose' gesture before remembering this won't help my case.
Bruce says nothing but looks weary.
" Are you okay? You look like you are about to collapse." I say slightly worried.

"I'm fine, long day, like you." He sighs slightly before asking "D d you have a good day at school?"

I nod enthusiastically praying he won't find out about anything that happened.

"Although... my buddy wasn't there today. I hope he's okay." I add.

"He's probably cutting classes or taking a day off, common place at that school I'm sure."

I want to defend him and tell Bruce that he Is tarring all the kids there with the same brush, but I know it's better not to challenge this sweeping generalisation as he doesn't look to be in the mood for simple jokes let alone an argument.
His gaze falls on my computer screen. The page that is up is about the 'elusive masked vigilante of Gotham', the batman. He frowns stepping inside my room and walking over to me.

"Why are you looking at that?" He asks casually.

"Oh, y'know, just curious. Must be hard work for him don't you think?"

"Oh I don't know, what do you mean?"

"I mean, it is evident that GCPD is both corrupt and practically useless and there's an excess of crime in this city, especially of the theatrical kind. He's just one man and he is trying to fix all of that... I admire him but I bet he's lonely. I mean, if you are living that kind of double life you'd have to push everyone important away from you... Or have little to lose... And lots of..." I stop mid sentence as I think about what I'm saying. This man would have to have a lot of money, he has a flipping armoured tank car thingy... I look up at Bruce speculatively.

"What are you thinking?" He quizzes yawning.

All those important business calls in the middle of the night and being away for days...

"Oh, nothing" I say brushing off the thoughts. Ha! As if he's spending his nights fighting crime and swinging from the rooftops of Gotham.

"Well don't dwell on whatever it is too much eh Stella? I'm going to get some well deserved rest and I suggest you do the same." He advises firmly.

I sigh but wander to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I watch as he wanders down the hallway and in to his room. When I have finished washing my face and am leaving the bathroom I bump in to Alfred who is also heading to bed.

"Goodnight Miss Walker"

"Goodnight Alfred, thanks for the enchiladas"

I shut my door carefully and turn on my lamp before switching off the light. I can't sleep in the dark very well. I suffer from bouts of insomnia regularly and have terrible dreams, it's always been this way. My recent traumatic experiences don't help of course, especially if I dream about my mother or the clowns like I often do. I climb reluctantly in to bed and lie very still. I look at the ceiling and wonder about my ridiculous suspicions about Bruce's other life. I decide that he is most likely not a vigilante, but I have the intention to thoroughly investigate so that I can prove he is not for my own peace of mind. I decide that the next time he is out and Alfred is otherwise occupied I will start searching the whole house for any clues. I hope Ace will be at school tomorrow as I'm not sure what will happen now that the creepy kid and the one he called penguin have beaten each other half to death.

Ha ha, if only they had died, I should be so lucky. Wait that's super mean... My thoughts are jumbled still. I also worry about what else Barbie and her posse have planned for me after the water bucket incident. All the worry leaves my mind circling, I start worrying about stuff I haven't thought about for ages; it's at least two hours of tossing and turning until I succumb to sleep from pure exhaustion.