Chapter 12

Brendon's POV
Ryan had just left his house according to his last text. Brendon felt butterflies rise in his stomach. No. They weren't butterflies, it must've been something he ate. Yeah. The thought of Ryan didn't make him giddy. During the kiss it had just been...well, he didn't know what had happened but it didn't mean anything. Well it did mean something but it just didn't mean he liked Ryan, right? Wait, why was he questing that? He didn't like Ryan...right?

Brendon's brain had been a mess since he had kissed Ryan. Apparently it had been showing too because Ryan had even pointed it out saying, "You've seemed out of it recently." He had indeed been out of it. That's why he was going to sneak Ryan into the pool with him. It would be too obvious if they went during the day so that's why Brendon had invited him over after
dinner. It wasn't long before there was knocking at the door and Brendon was jarred out of his thoughts.

• • •

The clock read 9:00. Brendon decided now was a good time to head to the pool. By now most people should be gone and it would be dark enough they would be unrecognized able unless looked at from a foot away. Currently, Ryan was no where to be seen so that would make things harder. Brendon knew for sure Ryan wasn't in his room, the kitchen or his parents room.

Now Brendon knew he wasn't in the backyard as he had just checked there. Closing the slider door, he went to look in the living room. Anywhere near the couch, nope. Under piano? No. Under that lumpy blanket? Brendon slowly crept up towards the blanket lying on the floor and quickly ripped it away to find a bunch of pillows lining the ground. That kid was sneaky and sure had a lot of time if he could make a decoy. Remind him to never play hide and seek with Ryan again.

It took about half an hour before Brendon finally found Ryan hiding in the bathroom and that was only because Brendon had heard the toilet flush. Apparently, Ryan had needed to pee he had been hiding so long and finally gave in after holding it for 5 minutes.

"All that seeking has made me hungry. Wanna go out for ice cream," Brendon asked. On the way back, he would make a quick detour and lead them to Ryan's outdoor community pool. Brendon really did want ice cream though.

"Sure. Who's driving?"

"I'll drive. I know a good place to get ice cream."

• • •

"Good ol' rocky road, please."

"Plain vanilla, for me please."

"Just vanilla, Ross? You're missing out."

"Hey. Vanilla is good. That's why it's a flavor, a flavor that happens to be sold almost everywhere ice cream is available."

"I'm just saying you should try something new given that I'm probably paying for you. If you don't like it, at least you wouldn't be wasting your own money."

Ryan turned and looked at Brendon. His stare sent those butterflies back into Brendon's stomach.

"Fine. Can you change mine to a rocky road as well? Thanks."

The money and ice cream was exchanged and the two sat down at one of the small tables. They faced each other and each had one side facing the window the table sat next to. It was dark outside and nothing except the bright shop signs and streetlights could be seen.

Brendon started to shovel the chocolaty goodness. It tasted so amazing. Just like Ryan's lips. No. He didn't mean to think that. He meant...it was so amazing he could lip his lips. Ryan hesitantly took a spoonful of his rocky road and slowly let it melt in his mouth.

"That is good. I'm glad I took your advice."

"You owe me then."

"What?! You said you were paying!"