4. A Patient Escape

~A Patient Escape~

We had run the majority of the way to his little camp site towards the border of Wyoming, I huffed and lay down closer to the fire as he unlatched the lead but left the collar around my neck.

"Don't look so down, Darling. You won't have to put up with me for long, your Brother's coming to get you in a couple of days." He sighed as he collapsed down onto his back beside me. I growled low in my chest as his hand lifted from his side to stroke my back.

'If you favour your hands then keep them away from me.' I growled again as I lowered my head to rest on my paws. His hand fell back to his side as he chuckled humourlessly. I needed to come up with an escape plan, but if I didn't get this stupid collar off of my neck I won't be going anywhere other than where they want me to go.

"Whoa someone's in a bit of trouble." Aiden stood in front of me and I huffed, just what I needed a damn spook to annoy the hell out of me. He sat in front of me and laughed.

'I'm not the only one. If I die, Buddy. You're coming down with me, cause I very much doubt anyone's going to find a ring on my body when my Brother's finished ripping it apart.' I thought to him. He stopped laughing abruptly and stared at me in realisation.

"Well then, we better get out of here." Aiden drifted to his feet and began to float away in the opposite direction, he stopped when he didn't feel me moving, "Come on!" He called, I growled.

'I cant dumb ass, otherwise I would have been a million miles away by now.' I thought while clenching my teeth. Aiden raised his eyebrows in confusion, 'The collar dumb ass, he's put a binding spell on it. I'm his pretty big lap dog until he says otherwise.'

Aiden rushed back to my side with a big grin on his face, "Then phase around it, Darling." He clapped in excitement.

'I cant, Darling. It's silver.' I sneered his endearment in aggravation. He flopped to the floor and sat with his head on his knees in front of me again.

"Oh." His eyes rested on the ground. Even if I did try and phase around it I'd probably strangle myself to death. That's why Lycans never wear silver jewellery.

One, we cant phase around it without risking life and limb. Two, some of us are actually allergic to it, fortunately I'm one of the few that aren't. And three, if we do manage to phase around it, it will just shrink to our human form too. So either way we are still bonded to the person who enslaved us.

I closed my eyes and just listened to the area surrounding us, the animals had run and hid as soon as they had heard Arty coming, it was natural for them to fear vampires, Lycans however had an understanding with nature and animals, forest animals in general, loved our company.

As not many of Tanya's family ever hunted in their wolf forms the deer would live in the same forests they would run in.

I felt the night closing in around me, the sun would be setting soon. The silence was too eerie and I hated it, I was so used to it being filled with the hoots and chirps of wildlife. I grumbled uselessly in my chest.

Then something snapped to the right of me not far away probably half a mile or so. The tiniest of sounds reached my senses and my ears pricked up. I slit one eye open and glanced to Arty, he seemingly hadn't noticed the small noise and was still in his vampire meditative state.

I kept my eyes open and glanced around me, the darkness was covering the forest quickly but my eyes would adjust and I would be able to see in the dark as I would in the light.

I looked to the direction the sound emanated from but there was nothing. Not a single thing disturbed the stillness, not even a breeze.

The rustling of a bush closer this time made me more alert and then silence fell again.