Chapter 6

Hope you like. Wonderful banner by AshleeMay

forest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“He hadn't suffered the eternity of the ring about to be picked up, didn't know the heart rush of hearing that incomparable voice suddenly linked with his own, the sense it gave of being too close to even see her, of being actually inside her ear.” 

― Jeffrey Eugenides, The Virgin Suicides

Isabella’s POV

          We sat in the waiting room, waiting for my tests to come in.

          “You never told me what happened to you,” I whispered after a moment of silence.

          “We’re not here to worry about me.”

          I was absolutely scared for no reason. I sighed. The doctor that took my tests came in.

          “Well, Miss Matthews, we ran some tests and you have no broken bones. We saw you might have some bruised ribs, but other than that, you’re good to go.”

          I smiled. “Thank you.”

          The doctor nodded and helped me up. Tyler got up after me. We walked out and Tyler sighed.

          “I’m sorry,” He whispered.

          “Sorry about what?”

          Tyler looked at the ground nervously, “Raising my voice.”

          “It’s fine. I’m used to it.”

          Tyler chuckled. We walked to his house.

          “What happened to your head?”

          “When you ran out of the house, Timmy came at me and attacked me, demanding were you were. Then we had a fight in the woods and he made it worse,” Tyler closed his eyes in memory. “I mean, I’m fine. It just hurts really bad.”

          I looked sympathetically at his butterfly bandage. “You did the right thing,” I walked up closer to him. “You were protecting me. If that was you, I’d do the same thing.”

          Tyler smiled. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

          I gave Tyler a kiss. He smiled and pulled me closer to him. It’s going to be another long night.

Later, I heard my phone vibrate on the night stand. I groaned and reached over to it.

          “Hello?” I asked sleepily.

          “B – Bella, is that you?” A little voice responded.

          “Maggie?”

          She didn’t respond, but I heard screaming on the other end. I covered my mouth to keep me from making noise. That poor bastard is hurting my mother.

          “What is Ethan doing to mommy?”

          “He’s hitting her. He’s forcing her to have kiss time.”

          “Shit,” I mumbled under my breath, “Rape.”

          “What?”

          “N – Nothing, Mags,” I sighed and got up. “I’ll be there soon.”

          “B – But you’re gone.”

          “Not unless I take a shortcut. I gotta go, Maggie. I’ll see you soon.”

          I hung up the phone and threw on real clothes. Tyler walked into my room. “What’s wrong?” He asked rubbing his eyes.

          “My poor step-dad is beating my mother,” I threw my clothes into my bag and zipped it up.

          “Then I’m going with you,” Tyler nodded.

          “Do you know a faster way?”

          Tyler nodded again and headed into his room. It’s nearly two in the morning and I’m rushing out to my car. Tyler came out quickly. We got into my Dodge Challenger and drove off. I sighed and felt a stray tear fall down my face.

          “We’ll get there in time,” Tyler looked at me. “Just trust me.”

          I nod in response as he stepped on the gas.