Chapter 1

Chapter 1

TWELVE YEARS LATER

" Love, wake up." A squeaky voice spoke in the early morning light.

" Get out. There's a fifty on the breakfast bar. Take it and leave." A deep croaky voice said, pulling the covers up over his curly hair. The girl stood up, her silk nightie barely covering her voluptuous hips.

She skittered about, gathering her clothes, her phone and her shoes.

"Call me if you get over yourself." She slammed a bit of paper on the bedside table and trounced from the room.

Once Harry heard the door slam, he pulled the covers down and stood up. He scrounged around on the floor searching for his boxers. Harry found them, slipped them up over his legs,pulled the covers up above the pillows and tucked them in nice and neat. He ran his hand through his curly hair and sat on the bed.

Harry hated having to do this, constantly screwing obscure whores, trying to not play true to his actual desires. His face plummeted down into his hands as a wave of self pity flooded him.

"Whyyyy" he moaned. Harry's phone vibrated, so he squashed the tight feeling in his chest reached for the rectangular object from the bedside table.

Also present was the small doll from his seventh birthday. It pained Harry to look at it but he loved it because that was the only thing he had of his best friend. Twelve years ago, Harry Styles had called his best friends house, frantically trying to find him.

"Jo? Is Boo- uh Louis there?" He stuttered.

"No honey. He didn't come home from school today. Have you seen him?" Jo replied nervously.

"Uh uh. Please call me if you find him. I love you Jo." Harry had hung up and promptly dissolved into tears.

There had been a formative investigation, forcing Harry to answer endless questions and his beloved doll to be considered evidence. Three years later, the Statute of Limitations had enacted and the doll had been returned to Harry. Harry had tried to throw it away, to give it to the thrift shop , to somehow destroy it. Finally after Harry threw it down the dish disposal and it returned only hours later, unharmed in his wrinkled bedspread. Harry had picked it up and clutched it tight to his chest, promising to never let the doll go again.

Since then, the doll had accompanied Harry each and every time he ventured away his home.

"Hullo?" Harry's deep voice said.

"Hey Haz. Me and Li are in our way over." Niall Horan said, his voice thick with his native Irish accent.

"Uh why?" Harry said, picking up clothes and throwing them into an already overflowing hamper.

"It's mine and Liam's anniversary! Two years baby!" Niall shouted.

Harry had forgotten. His two best friends had gotten together at the end of January in the eleventh grade, after drunken sex up against a dumpster. The next morning they soberly confessed their love and they'd been going together ever since.

Harry envied them. His stomach twisted every time he thrusted into some whore but it was the only way to forget. Forget Louis, forget the doll, and forget himself, at least for a little while.

"Oh okay. Well what are you lot gonna do over here?"

"We'll just hang out. And maybe we could borrow your bed?" Niall asked. Harry heard him laugh and then a wet smoochy sound.

"Eww you lot are nasty. I'm gonna go get breakfast. If you guys are here when I get back, keep the noise to a minimum alright?" Harry hung up the phone and pulled on a tight pair of skinny jeans that hugged his legs and made it nearly impossible to breathe. Then Harry searched under his bed for his new Converses and laced them up without socks. He pulled a right gray t-shirt over his curly hair and grabbed the doll and his cellphone.

Harry knew that with Niall and Liam's anniversary here, his nineteenth birthday was just around the corner. Another birthday. Without his best friend. Niall and Liam were great but he missed his Louis, his best friend.

Harry shook his curls to clear his head and walked out of the flat.