Chapter 2: Life on the Streets

After a long and heated discussion with the landlord my brother (who was now very awake and fighting a vicious hangover) and I were out on the street with all our possessions on our backs. The first night was rough and the Detroit streets were cold. I never thought I'd be homeless but here I was sitting in a dark alley curled up next to my sleeping brother trying not to shiver. A little more background on my brother. Aaron Lewis is 22 years old and a former member of a gang called "The Family" but he quit after he was stabbed by a rival gang member. He's also addicted to anything with alcohol in it... He's unemployed and now homeless. As i sat there and thought about my situation the light of dawn slowly crept into the sky. After day break my bro and I went in search of the homeless shelter or any sort of refuge from the harsh winds of the early March day. He didn't say much as I lectured him on how this was his fault and if he would only get a job and quit the hard stuff we wouldn't be in this predicament. He only grunted his apologies and shook his head softly. The reality of our situation was just starting to sink in for him, he was now completely sober and very quiet. As we walked down 4th street a black car rolled slowly by and kept going. Aaron didn't even look so I didn't think much of it at the time, until they pulled back around. The next minute went by in slow motion. The man in the passenger side whipped out a pistol and shot 4 times, the first two struck the wall behind us and the next two hit their mark. Aaron went down and rolled over on his back, i immediately saw two entry wounds in his chest. He was dead before he hit the ground. I told the man across the street to call 911 and I ran. I cried as I ran and believe me I didn't wanna leave Aaron but I had to. If the police saw me and figured out I was his brother and I was homeless they would send me to an orphanage and I couldn't go there. But i also knew i couldn't keep running. I needed food, water, shelter and worst of all I was now completely alone in the cold dark world.