♥ Chapter 1 ♥

It's not like I've never spoken. I just... don't anymore. Not since the incident. I've tried but I cant find the right words.

I made my way up the hallway and I wrinkled my nose as the strange stench of what seemed to be textbooks mixed in with gym socks. Ew. Nobody else around me seemed to have noticed so I just guessed I'd get used to it eventually.

You see, I'm new to this school. Also I'm trying to find the office, which seems to be non existant as I've been trying to find it for the past 15 minutes. I was going to be late for class if it didn't turn up soon, and that's definitely not what I wanted on the first day.

But it's not like I could ask for help. I don't speak, ever.

I'd taken ages that morning getting ready. New school means a new start. I wanted to give the right impression, which is hard when you don't talk so I'd spent time trying to make other aspects of myself likeable. I'd settled on a pale pink dress that came down to just below my knee. A thick brown belt pulled the dress in at the waist to give me a bit of shape. The belt matched my chesnut brown wavy hair that falls to half way down my back. I'd just thrown on some black pumps at the last minute.

Finally I was faced with a huge wooden door with the words 'Front Office' enscribed on the front. I took a deep breath and knocked twice.

I kindly looking, rather large older woman opened the door, looking over her golden spectacles at me. "Hello dear," She smiled warmly, just as a grandmother would. I felt instantly safe. " Come inside."

I followed her into the office. It was a long room, seperated in the middle by a set of glass doors. On the far side of the glass was a long oak wooden desk with a large green comfy looking chair behind it. On the desk was a closed laptop, 3 old coffee cups and it had an assortment of stationary strewn across it. A small plant was in the right hand corner which looked on the brink of death due to dehydration and on the other side was a bookcase full of books of all shapes and sizes. On the glass door leading into this room it had written on it 'Principle's office'.

On this side of the glass the room seemed a whole lot neater. The desk to my right was tidily organised with piles of papers an files. To my left was a set of dull, grey chairs. The walls were painted bright magnolia and the carpet was a deep maroon.

But most interesting of all was who was sitting on the chairs. Closest to me was a middle aged looking man wearing a smart grey suit. I assumed he was the principle. He wasn't the one I was interested in though.

On the far chair sat who looked to be a boy about the same age as me. He had been looking at his phone but had looked up immediately when I'd walked in. His bright blue eyes were wide and locked on me while I scanned the room. I met them with mine and he immediately looked away before running a hand through his soft golden blonde hair that flops to the side. His tongue quickly flicked out to moisten his lips. I was suddenly mesmerised by him.

"Casey," The middle aged man spoke up with a smile. "I'm Principle Moon.

Hm, unusual name I thought. I nodded and smiled in reply.

"Please, have a seat." He gestured to the chair beside him and I obediently perched on it.

"We have been informed of your... Unusual situation," He glanced over the lady who had showed me in. I assumed she was the receptionist as she sat at the neat desk on the other side of the room. She quickly gave a nod to him in reply.

I just nodded again and looked at the floor. Everything is about 500% harder for me.

"We want to make this transfer as easy as possible for you," The Principle leaned back and gestured towards the boy sat next to him. He was peering shyly up at me. "We have Luke here who's going to show you around and stay with you until you make some friends and get settled in. How does that sound?"

I paused. This timid boy would be in charge of me? Does he know about my... Issues?

But Mr Moon answered my questions for me. "Luke knows everything we've been told." Luke nodded in agreement beside him. "And we have something we hope will help..."

The Principle got up and I caught Luke's eye. He smiled slightly and looked away again.

Mr Moon was fumbling in the drawers of the receptionist's desk. "Aha," he mumbled and pulled out a small flat case. He opened it and pulled out a flat computerised looking thing I didn't recognise. It looked very modern. I'm not big on technology so normally I don't take notice of these things.

"This is a tablet, basically if you need to you can type in whatever you want to say." He passed it over to me and I looked at the shiny screen. I wiped my hand over it. "We hope we can help you as much as possible, all teachers know about your situation. We know how hard this must be for you."

That's what everyone says, but they've never been able to help me. They don't actually know how hard it is.

But once again I just nodded. What more can I do.

Principle Moon took a moment to look from Me, to Luke, and back again. Finally, clapping his hands together, he stated. "Well, it's almost time for class. Luke has your timetable and everything you'll need, I'll leave you guys to get on with it." He stood up, turned on his heel and walked over to his own office.

Luke stared at him for a moment, then stood up. He held out his hand to help me up, but I just looked at it, a little taken aback.

"C'mon," He said grinning. His voice seemed quite low for what I assumed his age was. "I don't bite, promise."

I gave a silent giggle, which just sounded more like air coming thrugh my nose. I took his hand and stood up.