Chapter Twenty: The Wicked Witch of The West Goes Bungee-Jumping

• Dedicated to My mom... Happy Birthday!

        "George, we need to talk... oh, no! George, I'm really sorry, but... no! That's all wrong. Okay, take a deep breath. George..."

"Yeah?"

I stopped pacing in front of the tree and whirled around, coming face-to-face with Mr. Arbing himself.

"Oh, hi, George. Um... you know, I'm not going to be like one of those cheesy romance movies. I'm not going to get all sappy on you and be dramatic. I'm not going to--"

"Get to the point, Temper," George cut off my ranting.

Wow. Real douche-y move, Georgie.

"Fine. I'll cut to the chase. I don't want you to be upset over this, because you're a great person and all. I want you to--"

"Temper!" he interjected, placing his large hands firmly on both of my shoulders.

"Yeah, sorry. I ramble a lot. I just don't know how to say this," I murmured, closing my eyes and trying to stop the tears that were threateningly close to overflowing.

But I held them in, because I told him I wouldn't get dramatic.

"I'm breaking up with you," I rushed out. I stared at my feet, too nervous and ashamed to look at him. It was silent. So silent, I was almost sure he had walked away.

I peeked a glance at him, noticing how his jaw was clenched and he was staring intensely at me.

"Well, that's putting it subtle! Good joke, Temper. Now why did you need me here?" he laughed, and I suddenly felt really sick.

He thought I was joking?

"No, George. I'm serious. I'm breaking up with you. I know we haven't technically 'dated' for long, but I'm breaking it off now," I repeated.

I looked him dead in the eyes, and I automatically knew he realized I was being truthful. He opened his mouth to speak, but snapped it shut. He did this several times, until I finally leaned in and pecked his cheek. When I leaned back, his hand flew up to the spot I kissed, his expression unreadable.

"I-Is it something I did? Can't we work it out?" he stuttered, and I shook my head sadly.

I took his head and led him to a bench, sitting down and pulling him with me. Emotions swirled in his eyes, each fighting for dominance over the others. Shit. This was actually kind of... scary.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, patting his hand. "I just think it's best to stop... this... while it's starting up. Our parents are getting married soon, and..." I trailed off.

He stared at me blankly, looking a bit pale.

"I know what you mean... but... can't you think this over some more?" he half-begged me.

I sighed.

"Listen, George. You're amazing. Probably more amazing than I'll ever be. Before I met you... I was this juvenile delinquent shithead. In fact, I think I'll always have a bit of mischief in me. But you... I guess you changed me. You taught me to be kinder, and to learn to have a great time without getting in trouble. I haven't really acted up since I destroyed that house on Slover Road, actually, which must be a record for me. I'll be forever in debt to you for changing me for the better... I just... you're a good guy," I explained, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"If you think I'm so good... and amazing or whatever, why are you doing this?" he demanded, and I bit my lip in thought.

"I don't know. You've been acting different lately, George, ever since our parents' engagement. You didn't pay attention to me at the apartment, and you were snapping at me," I recalled.