Chapter Fifteen: The Saxophone Bargain and The Skateboard Disaster

"Mom, I'm going to the skate park with my friends, okay?"

"Yeah, sure. Be back by eight!"

I nodded and gripped onto my skateboard, placing the red helmet atop my head. Just as I placed my hand on the door knob, I spotted George, sitting in the arm chair, reading a book. I sighed and stomped over to him, grabbing the glasses that were laid just-so across his nose and flung them across the room.

"You're such a nerd!" I stated, also snatching the book from him.

"Hey! I'll have you know, To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the best books of all time," he hissed, looking quite peeved.

"Whatever, whatever. You can read it in school. Wouldn't you rather spend your summer break having actual fun? I mean, I can teach you how to skate!" I exclaimed, getting a little excited.

"Wait-- since when have you been into skateboarding, anyway?" he questioned me.

"Uh, since forever! There's a lot of things you don't know about me, George Arbing," I declared defiantly.

"Oh, yeah? Like what?" he challenged me.

"Well, I play the fiddle and the saxophone, I can stand on my tip-toes for two minutes straight-- like Rose in Titanic, although it hurts like hell-- I used to take opera singing lessons and boxing classes, I can live off of Chinese food, I drink mustard from the bottle every so often, I have a light bulb-shaped birthmark underneath my armpit, and I'm deathly afraid of mascots," I recited matter-of-factly.

"You play the saxophone?" George inquired.

"Oh my God! Out of all the things I can do, that's the talent you're interested in?" I screeched.

"Sorry, sorry. I'd like to see you play sometime," he elaborated.

"Fine. We'll make a deal-- you come skating with me today, and I'll play saxophone for you after dinner," I muttered.

"And if I don't want to...?" he said.

"I'll just tell you this-- I don't date wusses," I threatened.

He jumped up from the couch, faking horror.

"Wow... you're really desperate for a girlfriend, eh? I pity the last girl you dated... oh, what's that? You've never had a girlfriend before me? Aw, poor Georgie!" I taunted him.

He smacked my arm, but then became serious. "You're my boyfriend? I mean, girlfriend!" he stuttered, quickly correcting himself.

"Well, if you're going to insult me and call me a man, then no," I teased him.

"Shut up!" he grumbled, walking past me toward the door. I laughed and followed him, watching as he slid into his shoes and opened the door, stepping out into the hallway.

"So... everyone's gonna be there. Cleo, Colb, Harper, Alec, Zoey, Jeremy, Luke, Max and us," I explained, grabbing his hand and pulling him along. He just snorted and pressed the elevator button in front of us. The metal doors opened and we waltzed in, staying silent for the whole trip down to the lobby.

"You should be a gentleman and carry my skateboard for me," I told him, plopping the heavy thing in his arms.

"Oh... if you weren't so... you know, cute, I swear I would smash this into your face," he warned, almost looking completely serious.

"Hmm, I'm so sure," I mumbled, resting my head on his shoulder as we walked along the crowded NYC sidewalks. We stopped by Lombardi's to pick up some red velvet cupcakes, and then we were on our way again.