Chapter 1

Chapter 1

It was a cold and gloomy Saturday afternoon that found us gathered together in the small churchyard cemetery. I shivered involuntarily as the chilly wind tugged at my jacket and whipped my hair about my face. A perfect day for a funeral

Expressionless, I stood apart from the rest of the group, numb as I watched them lower the casket of the only person I had left in the world, in the dank dark hole that would be known as his final resting place. It had been nearly two weeks since his death and three days since I’d finally stopped crying myself to sleep every night.

Looking around at those gathered, I felt a sudden burst of anger. Not many people had shown up; just a few friends from work, a couple of neighbors, and Lyman of course. But it was those who hadn't come that had me glaring.

Not one person from his family had come. Not one. Sure I knew that he had been disowned, but I didn't think that they would make it a point to not show up for his funeral, or even bother to call like any other decent human being would, considering the circumstances.

Lyman must’ve noticed the agitated expression on my face, because he gave a soft sigh and patted my shoulder. "Mina, I know you're still upset, but there was nothing that could be done about it."

I nodded in agreement, but my expression stayed the same. It didn't matter what anyone said, I couldn't forgive not attending your own sons funeral, family grudge or not. You don't just abandon you're child because he's done something you disapprove of -much less something so old-fashioned as getting a divorce, or, God-forbid, marrying outside your social class.

"Come one, Mina. Everyone's gone." Lyman’s voice broke into my thoughts and brought me back to the present. I blinked as if I’d just been woken from a bad dream and looked around the small cemetery in surprise.

He was right. Everyone was gone, except for the few people who’d remained to pay their respects to the graves of their loved ones.

“Come on, let’s get you home.”

I nodded and allowed myself to be led to his black Mercedes and driven back to his house, where I’d been staying the last few weeks.

At the house, I crashed as soon as we walked in the door. I’d been so exhausted I hadn’t even bothered to change out of my clothes or remove what little makeup I’d smeared on in an attempt to hide the bags under my eyes.

When I finally woke up, I found my room shadowed in black and the house silent. Glancing over at the alarm clock on the night stand it read 8:30pm; I’d been asleep for seven hours.

Stretching my arms up over my head, I yawned before crawling out of bed and heading to the kitchen for a bite of one of the many casseroles that had been dropped off at the house all week.

When I’d scarfed down nearly a whole platter by myself I washed my dishes and headed back to my room for some more unconscious time.

“Mina.” Lyman called out, stopping me in my tracks. “I need to speak to you for a minute. Can you please come in here?”

Padding my way into the tiny ex-guestroom Lyman had turned into his home office, I found him sitting at his desk with piles of papers scattered about. He looked up, his hair somewhat askew and his glasses slipping down the bridge of his nose. He looked as if he could do with a bit of rest himself.

“Have a seat please.” He said, gesturing to the chair in front of him.

I sat and eyed him curiously.

“I’ve been called away on an emergency business trip this week, and won’t be back until next Tuesday. Considering the circumstances, I would’ve rescheduled it, but it’s a matter that needs to be taken care of immediately and in person.”