Chapter 14: For the Best, I Promise (Snape's POV)

Chapter 14: For the Best, I Promise (Snape’s POV)

When Marceline didn’t return at the start of term, I panicked. Obviously she had abusive parents, and her father was furious that she hadn’t gone home for break. Could the unthinkable have happened? I tried writing her a letter, but got no response. I went to Dumbledore in a full panic.

“Dumbledore, something has happened to her. I am sure of it.”

“And why is she of such a concern to you?” he asked.

I didn’t want to tell him, but if I had to resort to blurting out the truth in order to save her, that is what I would have to do.

“Because she—I—you—”

“I know what is going on, Severus.”

I froze. Did he really just say… well, it was half relieving and half more troublesome knowing knew.

“I know you love her.”

And yet I still just stared at him. What was I supposed to say? Was I supposed to just go along with it?

“I will send someone to check on Miss Abbey. But there are some conditions you must agree to first.”

“Anything. There is something wrong, and I can feel it. Someone needs to go get her!”

“I cannot have you and a student having this sort of relationship.”

“I understand,” I said. I was completely frantic now. Why wasn’t he doing something? “Just please—”

“Like you, I also want Marceline removed from her house. We both know she is suffering indescribable abuse in that home. I have spoken to her grandmother in France, and she has agreed to house Marceline until she is seventeen. She will attend Beauxbatons for the remainder of her schooling.”

“Dumbledore, I will do anything to protect her. I don’t care. I want her to be safe. Now please, send someone to check on her.”

“Very well.”

Dumbledore got up from his desk and left the office. I continued pacing. Nearly half an hour went by before Dumbledore came back into the office.

“Severus, you are needed in the hospital wing.”

I nearly lost it. Dumbledore looked grave, and the tone of his voice was not optimistic.

“What's wrong?” I asked. “Where’s Marceline?”

When Dumbledore didn’t respond, I bolted from his office. I ran all the way to the hospital wing. There, I found Madame Pomfrey standing over a bed. As she moved out of the way and I could see the person lying there, I nearly collapsed to the floor.

I could barely recognize her as Marceline. Her hair was chopped short, all the way up to her shoulders. Her face was bruised and swollen; both eyes were black, and her nose was crooked, obviously broken. One of her arms was twisted at an odd angle, and burn marks were obvious on her other arm.

“Thank goodness you’re here,” said Madame Pomfrey.

“What happened to her?” I asked, my voice cracking.

“Her parents tried to kill her. Minerva brought her back here. She said that they were trying to drown her in the bathtub when she arrived.”

“Is she going to die?” I asked.

“I don’t know yet. I think she may have suffered brain damage. I was wondering if you had any recommendations as to what I should give her.”

I had to force my brain back into Potions Master mentality and got right to work.