Chapter 9: Detention (Marceline's POV)

Chapter 9: Detention (Marceline’s POV)

I was furious. Absolutely seething. I was on my way to detention with none other than Dolores Umbridge. I stormed upstairs to her office, dressed in my Muggle clothes as a clear sign of my rebellion.

“Miss Abbey,” she said sharply, waiting for me to walk inside.

I strolled past her lazily and sat down at a desk. My goal was to make her as upset as I possibly could.

As for how I got here…

It was all a harmless joke, really. Draco and I were fighting again, and I had been spending more and more time with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. We decided to put some bugs in Draco’s bed…

Well, he freaked out and set his bed alight. I decided to be the bigger person and fess up to it for all of us, because it had really been Harry and I’s idea to begin with. Hermione tried to tell us it was a bad idea... And, of course, Harry, being the righteous person he is, confessed to it as well so I wouldn’t have to deal with detention with Dolores alone.

And yet I dragged myself to detention like a good little girl. I wished I could spit in Umbridge’s face.

Harry was already inside the classroom when I sat down at a desk.

“And why do you think it is alright to walk into my classroom dressed this way?” she asked.

“These are my clothes. Would you have rather I come naked?”

I was being downright cheeky, and I knew it. I was normally never like this. I was a sweet, considerate girl… What was I doing?

Umbridge turned bright red upon my remark and became flustered.

“How dare you speak to me like that!”

“I don’t know, maybe it’s because you gave me detention.”

I honestly think that Umbridge was trying to make our lives a living hell. I was all for doing the same right back to her. She formed a group called the “Inquisitorial Squad”, which Draco had been quick to join. They told on other students who didn’t follow the rules, and obviously were given special treatment by Umbridge. I, however, was not so fast to go along with this new regime.

“Speak to me like that again and I will give you detention every day for the rest of the year!”

I kicked back and put my feet on my desk.

“Get your feet off that desk!” she shrieked.

 She obviously didn’t know how to deal with children. It was actually quite hysterical. Harry was stifling laughs as he wrote something on a piece of parchment.

“Miss Abbey, you have no idea how lucky you are that I don’t give you the same punishment as Mr. Potter!”

I glanced at Harry. I already knew about his punishment; Umbridge was forcing him to use a special quill pen that, when words were written on paper, the same words were carved into your flesh.

Unfortunately, I was all too familiar with that punishment. I glanced at the back of my own hand. It read ‘I will learn to obey the rules.

My father had the exact same quill.

“Well, sit down, Miss Abbey. I have a stack of papers for you to work on…”

An hour later, I was finished with the stack of papers that would have taken anyone else at least four hours to complete.

“I'm done,” I said, getting up.