Chapter 2: Nathan

Hey guys!! So here's chapter two! Whoopee! Anyways, I'm dedicating this one to guppiesuperstar because if it weren't for her support, I would've never updated this story! Thanks girl! So I hope you like the story so far! Message me any comments you have!

Xoxo

--------------------------------------------------

"Nathan, will you say grace?"

"Yes, Father." I replied with fake enthusiasm. There was tension in the room as I joined hands with him and my mother and then proceeded by closing my eyes. "Dear heavenly father above, thank you for all you have provided for us this day. Bless this food we are about to eat and let no evil come among us. Amen."

"Amen," my parents said in unison.

The dinner we ate was simple: spaghetti and chicken breasts. It was rather bland and tasteless because my mother wasn't much of a cook. My mind drifted off into dark, unpleasant thoughts as the dinner began and I could not muster up an appetite. I had an overwhelming headache that made me feel as if my brain was pushing against my skull. Fighting through the pain, I spent most of the time playing around with my food, twirling the overcooked spaghetti and stabbing- rather viciously- at the dry chicken meat. My father abruptly placed his utensils down on either side of his plate and sighed loudly.

"Nathaniel Reese, you are going to have to get over it. All this moping around is doing you no good. Stop acting childish and eat your meal." He said.

I obviously knew what he was talking about, but I wasn't in the mood to address this topic with him. He was making my headache worse, so I decided to play oblivious in hope that he'd leave it alone. "Get over what exactly father?"

"Don't be smart, son. You know exactly what I'm talking about: that wretched girl Julie Schiller."

Even though I saw it coming, I still felt a pang in my chest when he said her name. Julie. The girl I was supposed to marry. The girl who accepted my promise ring and told me she was nobody else's but mine. And I, being gullible, believed her easy lies. Though the event had happened four months ago, the betrayal was still fresh in my mind.

Things haven't been the same in Forester since that grim day. Julie's unfaithfulness seemed to inspire a lot of unrighteous activity amongst the town's youth. I guess they figured that if the Mayor's daughter was out in the world sinning, they could do it too. It was a summer of craziness as Forester's teens began to run wild. Now the whole town was in crisis. Kids were misbehaving, partying, having sex, and doing illegal things. Granted, these things had been going on before, but never to such an extreme where Forester's Elders had to host a town intervention. They put pressure on my father and the Mayor to fix this problem before Forester "fell out of grace with God."

The Mayor delivered a speech to the town apologizing for his daughter's actions and urging the youth to stay faithful to God. The speech was a good attempt, but it fell on deaf ears. The humiliation I had to endure hearing it though was unending! Everyone had pitied me and had told me how sorry they were for my predicament. Even Stephanie gave me a hug of apology (which I had tried to resist but that girl is strong)! I was never so embarrassed in my life! Julie didn't even bother to show up. It was a smart choice. They would've torn her apart.

Since that meeting, my dad has been lecturing me about being an example and putting Forester's young people back on the Christian path. And I've honestly been trying my best to do what he asks. The Missionary and Good Will Society meet every day after school. We lost thirty of our members and now we are down to eleven faithful- including myself. We encourage our peers to come back to the meetings, but they are uninterested. They still treat us with respect though, so that's a positive.

I've cut all ties with Julie. It hurt not being able to talk with her like I used to, but her betrayal hurt far more. Although the Christian in me has forgiven her, there's still a part of me that blames her for all that she's done to not only me, but to Forester. She's tried on many occasions to apologize to me and to make amends. But watching her stomach increase in size, with some other man's child, was truly too much for me to handle. Watching someone who I used to care deeply for suffer was not fun. I didn't want to be mad at her, or to ostracize her like half of the student body did, but I had to set an example. And fraternizing with Julie Schiller just wasn't an option anymore.

The house phone began to ring and my mother promptly got up to answer it in the kitchen. My dad took this moment to glare at me and I met his disapproving eyes with a look of indifference.

"Hello, this is the Reese residence," she said in a bright voice. She then looked at my father. "Paul dear, it's for you!"

He broke his eye contact with me and went into the kitchen to receive the call. My mother returned back to the table and kissed my forehead lightly. I gave her a small smile in return.

"It's going to be alright honey. God will send you the person you are meant to spend forever with. No need to get caught up in the past," she said.

I nodded my head, "I know mom, but thanks for the advice. Can I be excused?"

"Of course."

I left the table feeling bad for leaving my food untouched, but also relieved to be able to be alone for a while. I went upstairs into my room and took some Tylenol to suppress the aching in my head. I then laid in my bed and willed sleep to hit me. It didn't. It was only 7:13 pm. Surprisingly, I had too much time on my hands. I had already finished my homework, filled the Society's activities planner for the week, gone over my Presidential duties for the Senior class, and read the bible study lesson. I picked up my cell phone only to realize I had no one to call. I had so many friends but I was never actually close with anyone. Other than Julie of course, and look how that relationship turned out.

I felt lonely. No, scratch that. I am lonely. There was this deep hallow in my chest and I couldn't really comprehend it. I had always been the Golden Child of Forester and had always lived a near perfect lifestyle. But why did I feel as if my life had no true meaning? Why did I feel so...empty?

There was a knock on my door and I didn't bother to open it. I just laid on my bed quietly, lost in my depressing thoughts.

My father opened the door with a stern look in his face. That's the expression he always wore when he was ready to talk business. I sat up, thankful that the Tylenol was working, and prepared myself for what my father had to say.

"Nathaniel, that was Mr. Anderson on the phone. His son Liam is back in town."

"Liam Anderson?" I repeated. I tried to remember the last time I had seen Liam. Then it hit me. Four months ago at the Forester BBQ. I'd bumped into him at the parking lot. He'd been crying...

"Yeah him. Well he's back from his...vacation...and he's been having a little trouble readjusting to life in Forester. The Andersons believe that a good Christian boy like you could help." The tone of pride in my father's voice was unmistakable and I felt glad that he was proud of me for my reputation.

"Okay dad, I'll help Liam. He'll be back into the swing of things in no time."

He nodded and then closed the door. I laid back onto my comfortable mattress.

So Liam Anderson was back in town? I didn't even know he left! I've been so caught up in my drama I hardly even noticed he wasn't around for the first month of school. I sighed as sleep finally seemed to fall on me. My thoughts were still on him though.

Liam Anderson. I wonder where he has been all this time?