Aftermath

As Tev stepping into the darkness, he paused for a moment to let his eyes adjust to the lower light, almost pitch black after the noon-time brilliance of the pit.  As he did so, he automatically fell into a half crouch with a hand on his sword hilt in a defensive posture.  It was from the gradually failing darkness that he heard the shift of bodies, the jingle of mail shirts moving and the creaking of crossbows being raised into position.

At that sound, Tev froze, his heart racing.  Then his fury returned, burning away both fear and hesitation.

"Cowards."  He spat into the darkness.  "You would shoot me bold-faced while I am yet light-blind and unable to defend myself, shivering away your courage in the shadows?  Stand to and I'll cut you down for the yellow dogs that you are!  And after you, that Ajanti bitch that led me into this trap."  He tautly promised.

"Drop your blade, slave, or we'll spit you like a side of meat!"  A Mardish voice snarled out of the darkness in reply and Tev heard three sets of safeties click off.

His teeth bared in a silent growl, adrenaline ran like cold fire through Tev's body as he prepared to spring forward, his right on his sword hilt and his left on the hilt of his dagger.  But before he could even twitch, a more profound darkness suddenly appeared before him and he sensed another presence close by just as somebody laid light hands on his straining arms.

"There's no need for hastiness, Tev."  Kora whispered softly and reassuringly, squeezing Tev's arms gently.  "There's no trap.  Just unblooded boys with crossbows getting somewhat overawed by your performance in the pit tonight."  Then, a little louder:  "You can lower your weapons, guards.  There's no threat here.  My swordsman is still filled with the blood fire of the pits, that's all.  You surprised him and he reacted as any warrior would have.  As you would have, if you had stepped into a similar situation.  Isn't that right, Tev?"

Tev nearly spit out something coarse about elves hiding in the shadows only to swallow his harsh words as Kora continued squeezing and stroking his arms soothingly.

"Is that right, Tev?"  She repeated, even more quietly and he could feel her eyes on him.  Grinding his teeth in frustration for a moment, finally the powerful human let a sigh hiss free as he roughly pushed his anger aside and forced his tense muscles to relax.  Feeling Tev relaxing under her fingertips, it was Kora's turn to heave a sigh of relief.

"That's right."  He said in a low voice.  "I'm sure you lads would've acted in the very same way."  Knowing that saying those words probably saved him a couple quarrels in the chest, having to say them still left a bitter taste in his mouth and Tev's lips writhed with the desire to spit the foul taste out onto the floor.

If she had noticed his struggle to keep from spitting, Kora gave no sign when she once again spoke.

"See?  Just a warrior's desire for battle, and to impress the Emerald Emperor, may the First Dragon bless his reign.  So lower your weapons, if you will, and allow my swordsman to remove his soiled gear.  Zak, light the torches our guards so cautiously extinguished, that's a good lad."

As the soft light of the two torches pushed back the darkness, Tev found himself looking down into Kora's anxious face.  Who only relaxed when she saw his expressionless face abruptly crease with a slight smile.  Shaking her head, the Ajanti woman smiled in relief, more relief evident on her face as she she stepped back.  Over her head Tev could now see the three guards, still standing somewhat uneasily by the door.  He swiftly noted the military-grade crossbows, armed with mechanisms powerful enough to have punched the forearm-long quarrels right through his body, while still loaded and cocked, were now pointed at the floor.

"I'm not sure whether that was incredibly brave or just plain stupid."  Tev softly murmured as Kora reached around his body to undo the straps on his chest guard, the human continuing to gaze warily at the nervous guards.