Chapter17.

Songs for this chapter are:
Love Me Or Leave Me- Little Mix

All You Never Say- Birdy

Where The Story Ends- The Fray

(The published version of Before has a playlist page and it makes me cry and it's just another reason that Before is my Favorite book so far)

Hardin's POV. (I'm sorry I keep putting Hardin :'( I'm so used to it now *sobs*)

A few minutes later, the creak of the screen door has me to my feet. Tessa is standing in the doorway in front of Landon. She walks toward me and with every step, the bottle in my hand feels heavier.

Is she real? I think so, unless this bottle is laced with something, she must be. "How did you get here?" I ask her. I follow her eyes to Landon and freeze. That fucker.

"Landon, he..." she begins.

"You fucking called her?" Landon ignores me, walks through the doorway, and closes the screen door behind him. 

Tessa points a finger at me, "You leave him alone Hardin- he's worried about you," she defends her friend.

The perfect brother has the perfect friend. She's soft spoken but not when she's mad. Her eyes are so pretty, too perfect for such a soft face. I can't keep staring at her, she's giving me a headache. I have to guess what she's thinking and I've had a long enough night.

I sit down at the patio table and gesture for her to sit across from me. When she sits down, I take another drink and she stares, pure judgment in her eyes. I slam the heavy bottle down on the glass table and she jumps out of her seat. She should leave, she shouldn't be here. Landon should have never called her here. Why would she come anyway?

Her boyfriend is here this weekend and I'm sure he's penciled in for cuddle time. The thought makes me cringe.  Landon had no fucking right calling her to come here.

"Aww, aren't you two something. You both are so predictable. Poor Hardin is upset, so you gang up on me and try to make me feel bad for breaking some shitty china," I smile at her, letting her know I'm playing the villain tonight.

"I thought you don't drink?" she questions my character. She's trying to get a sense of who I am. I confuse her and she hates it.

"I don't. Until now, I guess. Don't try to patronize me; you're no better than me." I point a finger at her, using her old scolding technique.

She doesn't look phased by my move. I step closer to her and take another drink. "I never said I was better than you. I just want to know what made you drink now?" She asks. I'll never understand what makes this girl think she can ask people whatever the hell she wants. Boundaries? She has none.

"What does it matter to you? Where's your boyfriend?" I burn the question into her. She looks away, unable to keep up with my stare.

"He's back in my room. I just want to help you, Hardin." Tessa's hand reaches for mine and I flinch away before she can touch me. What is she doing? This must be some sick joke. Landon must have told her to come here and be all gentle, tame the lion bullshit. She wouldn't touch me for no reason.

"Help me," I can't help but laugh. "If you want to help me, then leave." I wave the bottle and my hand toward the door.

"Why won't you just tell me what's going on?" she pushes. I knew she would. Her hair is down, resting over her shoulders in waves. She's wearing casual clothes, looking younger than ever. Her eyes release mine and she looks down at her hands on her lap.