Chapter 9

“How…? I… Dad!! I can’t believe it’s you, I can’t believe—“ I sobbed, as Nena flew to my side, rubbing my back.

“Evonne,” he sobbed, “I am so sorry. For everything. I know I lost control when your mother passed. I shouldn’t have done some of the things I did to you. I drove you away. And when you left, I had nothing. Nothing at all. But I’m sober now! It’s taken me the better of 13 years to get clean, but I’m sober! I swear on my life,” He cried even harder and I joined him.

“Why didn’t you look for me earlier?? I have been known for over 10 years now! What took you so long?” I almost screamed into the phone. Anger was setting in.

“I desperately wanted to be sober first. There was no way I was going to find you and do what I did to you years ago... The truth is I have been looking for you since the day you left. I never stopped. But I realized I needed to get clean first,” He said, crying softly now. “The truth is I couldn’t be more proud of you.”

“I… I… I need to… This is so much for me, I just…”

“You need to take a breather. I know. So do I. Let’s talk tomorrow when we’ve had some shut-eye. That’s probably what we both need after this.”

“I… agree,” I said, still crying.

“Evonne,”

“Y-yeah?”

“I love you.”

I gasped and sobbed harder, as a fresh fountain of tears escaped my eyes.

I hung up the phone and cried into Nena’s arms.

I knew she probably didn’t have any clue as to what just happened, but she was there for me and I just needed someone.

I wanted Michael in that moment so bad it hurt. But he probably wouldn’t be home until early morning.

“Hun, is there anything you want me to do?”

“N—no,Nena,” I cried.

“I can make you some hot chocolate?”

“Food is the last thing I need, but thank you,” I said, trying to stand up, but my weak knees just wouldn’t allow it.

“Girl, you look pale. Do you need to lie down?”

“Yes,” I breathed.

“Do you want me to call Michael?”

“No, I don’t want to worry him about this…”

“Are you sure, hun?”

“Yes… I just need to rest…”

“Here let me help,” Nena said, attempting to pick me up and carry me.

“Thanks Nena, but I’ll make it… Thank you, really,” I said, wiping my burning eyes and forcing a smile.

She stood still as she watched me head up to the bedroom.

I could hear her calling Michael in the distance, but I was too removed from myself to even go back and stop her. I wanted him there desperately, but I didn’t want him to worry or have to stop in the middle of his work just because of my crazy life affairs.

“Michael? Yes, this is Nena. Um, I’m worried about Evonne. …No she’s not sick. …No. …A few minutes ago she got a phone call from her dad and she’s really upset. …Yes, her dad. Why? …Oh my. …Well, she told me not to worry you about it…she doesn’t want you to come home in the middle of work. I don’t think she knows I’m talking to you. …She told me not to call but I’m calling anyway because, well, she was really upset. I’ve never seen her so emotional. It kinda frightened me. …Okay. …But make sure they understand before you leave. …Yeah, okay. …Buh-bye.”