Chapter 6

“Beautiful!! Absolutely stunning!” LaToya oozed, as Karen put the final touch on my makeup job. She, Katherine, Rebbie, and Janet stood around us with approving expressions.

            “Are you ready to see yourself, hun?” Karen asked. Her blonde eyebrows rose high over her eyes and her mouth was tensed into a huge, ear-to-ear grin. I couldn’t help but giggle at her enthusiasm.

            “Sure!” I said, as she spun me around to look in the mirror. “Oh my gosh…”

            I looked even better than I had at the concert earlier in the week.

            “Karen, you really outdid yourself!” I gushed. “I love it!”

            “Baby bro’s gonna love it more, though!” Rebbie giggled.

            “You think?” I smiled in the mirror at her, turning my face left and right, getting a good look at myself.

            We heard tiny footsteps enter the large bathroom and we turned to see Austin, Rebbie’s 4-year-old son, standing in the doorway with a frustrated look on his cute little face.

            “Mama? I can’t get my jacket on. And…and my tie won’t go on,” He puckered his little lips out and knitted his brows together.

            “Okay, baby, come here. Let mama help,” Rebbie said, kneeling down as Austin made his way to her.

            He was going to be the ring bearer.

            She made him turn around and helped him put one arm through one sleeve at a time. Then she buttoned up the single black button in front and helped him situate his bow tie. He looked so adorable!

            “Thank you, Mama,” He said, kissing her cheek.

            “You’re welcome, baby. Now,” she said, taking his little hands in hers and looking him right in the eyes, “when you go back out there with Uncle Mike and Uncle Jermaine and everyone, you can’t tell them what Evonne’s dress looks like, okay? No matter how much Uncle Mike wants you to.”

            “I won’t, Mama, I woooon’t,” He said, trying to get back slip out of her grip so he could get back out the door.

            “Promise?”

            “I promise,” Austin said, turning to run happily back out the door.

            “Sweetheart, how much time do we have?” Katherine asked Janet.

            “20 minutes,” She said, looking down at her diamond watch.

            “Well, we’ll have plenty of time to spare then. All I have to do now is tie the sash to the back of your hair and then put your head-band on and you’ll be all set!” Karen said, starting to attach the thin fabric into my hair.

            “Is Brandi ready? Has anyone seen her?” I asked curiously.

            Brandi, Jackie’s 7-year-old daughter, was going to be the flower girl.

            “Yeah, I saw her before we got in here. She was ready to go! She was really excited,” LaToya said.

            “Aw, I’m sure she was,” I smiled to myself.