Chapter 12

Chance

Vampires don’t usually sleep as much as humans, so I had been laying awake watching Lizzy for the past hour or so. I was starting to get bored when she stirred. She stretched then turned her head toward me.

“Morning,” I said with a smile.

She smiled back, slowly opening her eyes and looking juts past me. “Morning.”

I brushed her hair out of the way and looked at the bite marks on her neck. They were healing but you could still see the two puncture wounds perfectly. Good thing it was toward the back of her neck and her hair covered it.

“How does it look?” she asked nervously.

I smiled, lightly touching the place. “Looks fine, be healed in no time.” I dropped my hand, frowning slightly. “I’m sorry I had to do that, though.”

She shrugged, getting up and stretching. “It’s alright, just don’t let yourself get so bad you have to do it again.”

“I’ll try,” I said as I watched her feel for her bag then slowly open it and feel inside, looking straight ahead all the while.

I wanted to go over and help her, but I knew she hated it when we hovered too much. She was a very independent girl and liked to do things on her own, and so she told us again and again.

“Breakfast!” Cassie called from downstairs.

I looked over to see Lizzy pulling some clothes out of her bag. “Perfect,” she said with a smile, “I’m starving.”

“You and me both,” I smirked, slowly getting up and stretching.

“Chance,” she whined.

I smiled to her. “Kidding, kidding. I’m fine . . . for now.”

She rolled her eyes, looking more relaxed, then shooed me out of the room. “Out, I have to change.”

“Can’t I watch?”

She gave me that look of hers. “No. Out.”

“Fine,” I said with a grin, letting her push me out of the room. “Be a party pooper then.”

She closed the door behind me and I just grinned, rubbing the back of my head as I took a few steps back. There was a noise to my right and my head shot up to see Jesse walking toward me, looking very tired.

“Morning bro,” I said with a grin, walking over and throwing an arm around his shoulders.

He gave me a suspicious look. “Why are you so happy?”

“Can’t I be in a good mood?”

“No.” He looked at me again then looked to Lizzy’s door and his eyes widened slightly in realization. “You spent the night in her room, didn’t you?”

I dropped my arm and stepped away. “Eh, yeah. We shared a bed.”

Now he gave me a stern look. “Chance, you should know better than that. What if something happened.”

“Nothing happened.”

“But something could of happened.” He crossed his arms. “Neither one of us has fed in a long time, you could of seriously hurt her.”

I rolled my eyes. “Gee, thanks for the lecture dad, can I go now?”

He was quiet again, studying me, then narrowed his eyes. “You look different, stronger.” Oh crap.

“Thanks,” I said with a smile. “Been working out.” I made a muscle with my arm as I played dumb.

Then in the blink of an eye, he had me by the throat and was pushing me into a wall. “You bit her,” he growled. “You bit her and drank her blood.”