CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2

Dusk was falling now, and the sky was starting to settle into its usual deep shade of blue while a portion of clouds dismissed themselves from the heavens to leave small, twinkling lights in their path. As the car came to a halt, Matt pulled the shades back on over his eyes and tossed Karen his hoodie so she could hide her shirt and red hair. He could only imagine the rumours that would go around if they were both spotted entering the same house at night. As soon as the limo came to a halt at Matt's drive, the door was pulled open and Karen stepped out after her badger (so she sometimes called Matt). The cool air stroked softly at her ivory skin while the light breeze made the flowing ends of her white skirt sway gently around her knees.

'Right, we've got to go now-- thank you, sir.' He said, tossing a pound coin to the young man who had held the door in their service. With a tilt of his hat, he caught the coin before pocketing it and stepping around to the passenger side of the limousine. The tires screeched slightly against the pavement as Matt took Karen by the hand once again, running towards the front door. 'Must we run?' She whispered to him loudly, listening to the thunder growling at them from above.

'Well yes, yes we must. I like watching you run... You're like a gangly fox.' He murmured back with a smirk, rain starting to pelt down on the both of them. Matt's property was sort of secluded from the rest of the world, with its tall privacy fence and large green trees bordering the perimeter of the yard. Not only was his lawn fascinating, but he had a beautiful home, from what Karen could see on the outside: brick and nicely kept, just large enough for about five people.

They had slowed their speed down to a walk and finally approached the lock the door, panting and slightly damp from the soft rain. Lightning flickered violently, closely followed by rumbling thunder as Matt searched for his key in his pocket. 'And it's... let's see.. Ah ha!' With great difficulty, he finally pulled the key free from its location before finding it into the lock. 'Ready?' He murmured, looking over to Karen with a raised eyebrow who nodded her head quickly in response. Matt smiled and turned his wrist, pushing the door wide open. 'Home sweet home!' He bellowed through the sitting room that they had just entered, Karen's eyes sparkling as she looked around. 'Wow, this is really nice... I should seriously consider moving in with you.' She looked over to him as he returned a smile and closed the door, removing his shades before folding them in half and tossing them carelessly onto the table. 'I wouldn't mind that at all, Gillan. Take that jumper off and we'll get things started.' He froze and gained a slight pink on his cheeks, glancing over to her to see if she had taken in anything he had said. Karen smirked then giggled slightly, pushing his arm. 'Such a dirty mind.. Telling me to remove my clothing so we can... Whatever you were thinking..' She said, pulling the hoodie off over her head before handing it to him with an amused expression. '/Me?/ So, /I'm/ the one who's got a dirty mind? Blimey, Kazza, I didn't mean anything like that... You're the one who thought I was talking about.. I don't even know what goes on through that mind of yours.' He said with a grin, snatching the jumper from her grasp in a sort of playful manor before hanging it nicely on the wrack. 'Yeah, whatever... Let's go have a good time then, idiot...' Karen joked with a smile, trotting into the kitchen that was just through the open doorway. 'So, Mr Smith, what is it that you've got to drink in this place?' She called to him, helping herself through the cupboards. 'Uh... I've got a bit of rum and just plain beer. Might have some wine, too.' Matt said as he entered the room, leaning back against the granite counter while watching her. 'Rum and coke sound good to you?' Karen looked over her shoulder to him, fridge door open in front of her. Matt was looking back at his ginger with an unreadable expression, 'Come here.' He said quietly, squaring his jaw. Without argument or hesitation, Karen turned around to face him before slowly approaching the man in front of her. 'Kazza, can I ask you a question? If you don't feel comfortable answering, I understand... I.. Just wanted to know..'

She pulled herself up to sit on the cold table just across from him, shrugging slightly, 'Sure, go ahead.'

He opened his mouth then closed it quickly, biting down on one of his knuckles as he tried to arrange his words. Finally, after about a minute of organising and arranging his question, he blurted out, 'What the hell happened between Patrick and yourself? You guys were so close, for so long, I'm just curious.'

Karen tensed slightly as she looked down to the floor, swallowing hard after clearing her throat. She didn't answer immediately, and Matt thought she might not have answered at all. 'Kaz, you don't have to--' 'No.'

She interrupted, shaking her head slowly, 'I'll tell you. But this stays between you and I, yeah?' Her head lifted to meet his gaze, one eyebrow raised.

'Do you really think I'd tell anyone? C'mon, we're--we're best friends, I would never consider it,' He said as she stared back at him with a look of difference.

'Just promise me.' Karen said quietly.

'Karen Gillan, I promise that this entire conversation from here on out stays between you and I.' Matt reassured to her, smiling kindly as he made two X's over each side of his chest. 'And as the Doctor would say...Cross my hearts.'