Prologue

"No!" she cried as he caught hold of her shirt. "Stop! Get off of me! Please!" She turned around swiftly; fist clenched, and swung a punch. It connected with the side of his face solidly and he let go. She reared away for a few steps then turned and ran. The blow rendered the man briefly shocked as he held his face. When he snapped out of it, he looked around for the girl, who was limping her way out of the alley about 10 yards away. He walked up to her and pulled her back by her hair.

“Bitch, you’re not going anywhere.” He pulled her back into a headlock and proceeded to drag her into a corner. The girl tried to scream, gasping and kicking. Suddenly  a cloth was shoved over her mouth and nose, and she smelled something slightly sweet.

Then everything went black.

WEE-OOH! WEE-OOH!

“Ma’am? Are you okay?”The piercing sound of sirens and the murmuring of voices seeped into her head. She tried opening her eyes, but the light was too much. “Ma’am?”

Then the pain started to dribble in, as if it were from an IV.  Everything hurt. Her arms felt as if someone had beaten her with a bat or some other blunt object. She felt exposed on her left breast and between her legs. The pain between her legs was almost unbearable. When she tried to close them, she couldn’t. She let out a small grunt of pain, as the effort proved to be too much.

Gentle hands managed to move her to a gurney, where she was shifted to what should have been a more comfortable position. One of the men spoke into a radio. “She’s alive, clothing torn, bruising on arms and torso, black eye, and two broken legs. It looks like a sexual assault.”

The girl managed to open her eyes again, and again the bright lights attacked her. She was wheeled into the ambulance, and she drifted back into unconsciousness.

What seemed like forever later, she woke up in a stark white room. The only color was a green rocking chair in the corner, which was empty. She looked around the room some more. There was an IV in her arm, and multiple stickers and wires that led to things she couldn’t see. She looked out the window, which faced a stark white, empty hallway. A tear rolled down her cheek, and she shifted, drifting back to a fitful sleep.