Chapter 1

I've heard it said that when everything seems to be coming together, that's when it falls apart. That is basically how it went for me. The thing is, having my world turned upside-down wasn't actually completely a bad thing.

You see, I was doing great. Senior year had just begun and I was off to a great start. Academically, I had a 4.7 GPA under my belt from the rigorous AP classes I had taken the year before, landing me a spot on the honor roll in the number one position for my class. In band, I had just been promoted to first chair flutist when the previous holder had graduated. My previously scissored black bangs had grown out from their horrendous 'do, and left me with long, straight locks I had previously thought impossible. Gone were the days of fat-kid jeans and ill-fitting t's, the time for tank tops and skirts had fallen upon me. If that weren't enough, colleges all over the country were beginning to grace me with acceptance letters and scholarship opportunities. Sounds perfect right?

That was the problem. I honestly thought I had it all figured out. That is, until the beginning of November when my whole world was turned upside down.

"Amanda," A voice called from behind me. "Amanda Lee, is that you?"

I spun around quickly, carefully adjusting my thick-rimmed glasses. "Oh hey, Mr. Murphy." I smiled as I came face-to-face with my old AP European History teacher from the previous year. "Yup, it's me; Amanda." I confirmed.

"Just the gal I was looking for! I need one of my genius, 5-scoring, Euro grads to help tutor for some students."

I thought of my college applications and how great some volunteer work would look on them. "Of course! I'd love too!"

"Awesome, because I have a transfer student named Liam who just came in last week. He's actually in your grade, but I guess his school in Arkansas only offered Euro to upperclassmen. He's a bit behind because he missed two weeks of school in the move, and as I am sure you remember, we cover a lot of ground in a very small amount of time in this class. You'd help him out, wouldn't you?"

"No problem." I said, giving him a thumbs up.

"Well in that case, come by my room after school. I'll give you his number so you can try and get in touch."

"Okay, see you later, Mr. Murphy!" I shouted over my shoulder as I made my way towards my AP English class.

When I arrived in class, I was instantly bombarded by my best friend, Amber Carlton. Amber was a few inches taller than me, and my absolute fashion icon. While I typically dawn preppy, ivy-league ready attire, Amber is always wearing the cutest boho-chic outfits. Today, she wore a floor length tie-dye skirt with a tight, white tank top and a jean jacket. She pulled me into a hug much faster than I was prepared for, and I ended up with her waist-long, wavy, light brown hair stuck to my chapstick. Amber released her death grip and grabbed my wrist.

"I was beginning to think you'd never show!" She said, ushering me towards the middle of the classroom. "We got to pick new seats today. You're lucky 'Tash and I love you so much because we saved you a desk."

I faked a curtsey. "Thank you two ever-so-much!"

"I don't mean to take credit for it all," My other best friend, Natasha, grinned devilishly. "But it was definitely all my idea. One-hundred-and-ten-percent. Actually, Amber had nothing to do with it. I just love you way more than she does!"

"Hey!" Amber gasped, lightly smacking Natasha's arm. Natasha is hilarious and sarcastic. She has the most gorgeous, fiery red hair you've ever seen, and piercing blue eyes. As far as style went, she pretty much wears purple every single day.

The bell rang and I took my seat. I was in the midst of pulling out my notebook that happened to be covered in my infamous stick-figure cartoons when a boy with black hair swept across his forehead strolled into class and took a seat in the back of the classroom. I wasn't usually one for "checking out" guys, but this boy might as well have walked off an Abercrombie photo shoot. He dawned dark wash skinny jeans and a black leather jacket and had a sexy, sideways smirk upon his face that practically had me drooling.

As my teacher began her lecture, I had to wonder about this mystery boy. She hadn't acknowledged his presence and was beginning to pass out quizzes on our class reading material. I watched as he looked curiously at the quiz, and begun to write. I was suddenly aware that Natasha had been thrusting the paper at my arm for a good thirty seconds to prompt me to take it

"You might want to shut your mouth," Amber whispered. "You'll catch a fly."

Amber and Natasha snickered and then were quickly scolded by our teacher to keep quiet while testing. I was totally mortified, but I got to work. When I was on the last question, I heard someone stand up and walk to the front of the class.

"Here," said a velvety voice. I looked up once more to see the mystery boy handing his paper to the teacher. "I am going to the restroom."

"Excuse me," my teacher replied. "You should ask for permission, you can't just tell me that you're leaving, Mister, uh..." She paused, realizing she had no clue who the boy was in front of her. She looked down at her desk to retrieve a roster to check for his identity. When she looked up again, he was gone. I was nearly at her desk to turn in my quiz, when she gasped aloud. "That's the new student, Liam Anderson. And," She put her hand on her forehead, clearly shocked. "I'll be damned. He scored perfectly on this test."

That was Liam? As in, the boy I am tutoring in AP Euro? That couldn't be right.

--- 

Tell me what you think, guys! I may not be able to update for a while since finals are coming up, but hopefully you guys will enjoy the chapter I have up now. :)