Chapter Five

The driver pulled the car back into the road and we headed towards the place I would soon inhabit. I had my small bag with me, and for now it would do, at least until I had the time to head over to my Uncle’s house and pick up the rest of my belongings. John held the door wide for me and once inside I felt similarly enclosed as I had been in the taxi but nowhere near as panicky. A woman was standing in the main floor’s reception room, but her back was turned to us, it took Sherlock a few times before she heard him clearing his throat. She turned and I noticed immediately that she had that rather casual easiness about her, and by the many pictures of children around the room I presumed she was the motherly type. Now don't get me wrong, there were many other things that gave her away before she opened her mouth, those were just the most obvious. Her greyed hair and extensively wrinkled face seemed common enough, but when one looked closer one noticed she was only just past 60 and that was either due to children or a very stressful job, I was sticking with the children however, as her smile was far too welcoming and cheery for someone in a high ranking job. But apart from this it was well and truly her mannerisms as she spoke that gave it up. “Oh- Sherlock, you’re back,” her voice was sweet, and there was no expecting of a harsh tone from her old mouth. She looked to me and stepped to shake my hand. “You must be Evangeline, Sherlock called and told me you wanted to rent out the spare room,” she began, I interjected however.

“I was hoping that it could happen as soon as possible, I have my first months’ rent in my purse and I can start bringing my things in tomorrow.” I paused slightly, allowing my lips to curl up in the corners, “It’s lovely to meet you Mrs Hudson.” She seemed a tad taken aback by my abruptness but I was sincerely hoping that she was used to it, what with Sherlock. She recovered quickly, and led me from the room, calling behind her as we walked up a set of stairs (ten to be exact).

“Sherlock I took that dreadful skull from your room, I’ll give it to John later.”

“Thank you.” He called back sounding slightly offended, but pre-occupied; apparently he and Mr Watson were talking in the hallway. “There’s another room downstairs but Sherlock mentioned you were a bit claustrophobic, I hope this room will be better.” She said conversationally, I smiled though it was lost on her back, “I’m not overly fond of closed spaces,” I agreed cordially, I knew that I had to be on her good side, she was just one of those people who could really be a pain if they don't like you.