Chapter Four

I had a few seconds in which I whipped open the dresser drawers and searched through the owners belongings, noticing an unusual amount of sheet music and CD’s and even the occasional cassette. I pulled from the draw three things; a note that had been torn into three pieces and then stuck back together, an MP3 player and a diary. It wasn’t as if I was stealing them, I just wanted a look at them before my uncle got hold of them. Sherlock re-entered the room and smiled, “I got you a place to stay, as long as you don't mind sharing a flat with us.”

“Us?” I asked.

“John and myself.” He stated as if it had been obvious; and perhaps it had been at that.

“Not in the slightest.” I replied, ushering them out of the room and starting down onto the main floor. “As long as you won’t mind having me around,” I looked to the body as he dropped in beside me, “Have you got what you need?” I asked.

“There are a few things missing, other than the real owner of this house, but I'm sure the inspector will find them.” He answered, opening the door for me as I retrieved my coat from where someone had placed it on a rack, I waved to my uncle and sure that he knew I was leaving climbed- less than eagerly into the taxi alongside John.

“Two-twenty one b Baker Street please.”

The taxi was definitely my fist mistake the second was sitting next to the doctor and consequently opposite Sherlock. He settled in and my discomfort seemed to amuse him greatly, “You could be a little more understanding Sherlock,” John said distastefully as he looked worriedly at the sweat forming on my brow and the violent shaking of my limbs that had set in since entering the cab. I didn’t smile it off but I didn’t get out of the taxi either, instead I kept in my seat and tried to control my breathing, staring Sherlock down even as he challenged me with his gaze. He owed me big for this and I was going to make sure I remembered that for later. John placed a concerned hand on my shoulder and I shrugged it off, noticing briefly out of the corner of my eye the street sign indicating “Baker Street” pass by the window.

The houses were all similar and even when my eyes were firmly locked on Sherlock and trying not to panic too much about the enclosed area of the cab I noticed that the house we were heading to was on the higher end of the street, the road that had historically been cobbled had been re-surfaced long ago, but there was something about the run-down town houses that were vaguely reminiscent of long ago. I was most definitely the first to exit the taxi, even though it almost meant causing a crash, as a car came racing up behind as I scrambled to open the door and clambered out. The immediate shock wasn’t much and it was easily avoided by the car swerving into the opposite side of the street for a brief moment. 

It was wonderful to have the air on my face and the sky above me, Sherlock looked over the top of the cab at me and smirked, I don't think he quite understood how much I hated enclosed places.