30

Catherine

What happens when you bring a boy with you and you just happen to have four rowdy uncles?

Simple.

They turn quiet.

Dangerously quiet.

Uncle Joe, as he insists on being called, slowly stood up and made a show of walking dramatically towards us. You know, the silent, careful steps while eyeing Damon kind of walk.

I winced as he stomped his feet loudly, stopping just an arm's length away from us.

I turned to my aunt and mom for help but they were just as engrossed to this confrontation like any other person in the room. Even the kids stopped playing just to watch.

I'm beginning to think my family's a sucker for drama. Imagine the frenzy when they found out about the feud between me and my sister. Course nobody said a word about it but I have a feeling it was discussed every once in a while on someone's kitchen every family gathering.

"Who's this chump?" He nudged his head towards Damon and was quickly slapped on the arm by my aunt.

"Joe!"

He glared at his wife before turning back to us. He raised a brow at me, waiting for me to answer his question.

I remember that time when we were asked to bring a pet to school and I just didn't know what to say when the teacher asked me to describe my gerbil so I ended up saying Gerbil and Pet before sitting back on my chair. The teacher never asked me about it.

I was ready to explain. I was ready to tell them that I was mature enough and I know what I was getting myself into. But panicking and flashbacks don't go well together, do they?

"Damon, apartment."

Now where the hell am I going to sit.

I heard Damon chuckle and I could tell by the way his lips twitched that he was fighting a smile. He cleared his throat before offering his hand to the man of the hour. Or day rather.

"Damon Grace. I share an apartment with your niece."

I almost choked.

That's not something a sane person would say on a first meeting. Especially in front of half of the clan with uncles ready to pull you to shreds present.

My uncle looked just as shocked as I was. I risked a glance to see my other uncles on the act of getting up, a look of murder on their faces. My mom pointed a finger at them, warning them to not interfere. Uncle Joe's the oldest, my dad being the middle child. While my dad was surprisingly calm about this,my uncles looked like it would make their day if they just laid a hand on Damon. Well not just a hand. A fist to be specific.

I almost hugged my uncle when he recovered and accepted Damon's hand.

"Joe Wright. I'm the uncle of the young lady you're sharing the apartment with." He then turned to my uncles and asked them to say hi to Damon.

I squinted my eyes when they looked at each other and nodded. I heard one of them ask if Becky (Uncle Joe's cow) was ready and uncle Joe nodded in return. All this nodding is making me think they already have someting planned out. My dad chose that time to make his entrance with a wide grin. He smiled as he saw me and gave me a hug before kissing my mom. I mean it's great that he's back to treating me like he did before seeing me on the apartment,but something felt off.

"Now if you'll excuse us,we'd like to borrow Damus here and show him around the property." He patted Damon in the back a little too hard, making him lean forward. I glared at my dad but he was already placing an arm on Damon's shoulder, almost like he was dragging him away from me.