5

Catherine

"Seriously, what is it with you and my apple?" I rubbed the apple on my shirt before taking a not-so ladylike bite on it, all the while glaring at him. He put his hands up in surrender and went towards the coffeemaker.

"Just so you know, the stuff that's in here's mine, even your bedroom furniture. It's not that I'm being selfish or anything. Just FYI." I told him, sitting on the counter near the knife set while watching him, the smell of caffeine in the air. Just in case.

"Already taken care of, bonbon. And not all of this is yours. The major appliances aren't. It was half-furnished when you got here so I could still cook, sit on the couch and sleep on my bed, minus your stuff being the sheets."

So lying was a no-go. Can't say I didn't try.

"You're the guy from last night."

It wasn't a question. It was more of a statement.

Even during broad daylight, he still looked dark. It was like he had this aura around him that's, I don't know...almost sinister.

I need to lay off the supernatural stuff. Rose loaned me her twilight books before, since I got curious about the buzz saying it sucked. Although this Damon dude doesn't sparkle. His back was on me meaning, I could check the guy who'd I'll eventually share the same air and rent with.

He got two cups from the cabinet above him. I didn't bother asking him on how he knew where they were. Probably a lucky guess. Coffee cups above the coffeemaker. Or he really did know about the apartment's interior. He was tall. Either that or I was too short. Well at least someone can reach the pans on the top cabinets for me now.

"Does it make a difference if I said yes? Would it make you feel better?" He wasn't looking at me when he said this and walked towards the fridge like I wasn't even there. I can't believe this man. How can he act like he owns the place when he just got here? He closed the fridge holding two eggs and reached for a pan on the cabinet just above me.

Everything went slow motion as he stretched his arm to get the cursed pan, his side brushing my thigh. I inhaled sharply and there it was again! The scent of apples.

"Earth to, bonbon." I looked at him. I spaced out. He moved his head for me to look at the table. There were two plates with scrambled eggs, and two cups of coffee.

"Hand me a knife will you?" My eyes widened.

My death has come. Goodbye coffee and good books.

When I didn't move and just stared at him, he sighed and spoke matter-of-factly. "I could've sneaked into your room, had my way with you then killed you. I could have choked you when you set foot on this kitchen. I could've tied you down on the couch, gagged and left you to starve to death. I could've done any of those horrid things, yet here you are. I prepared your breakfast. Fine then, give me the peeler. I guess you're not a fan of sliced apples." He reached out his hand for me to hand over the weapon I used a while ago to skin him alive. I looked around and saw that the peeler was at my far end.

He really was a huge man for this kind of kitchen. With me blocking his way, he would have to go around just to get it, just like when he got the eggs.

I jumped off the counter quickly and went at the end of the table. And instead of handing it to him, I let it slide towards where he was. He smiled and picked it up before sitting down. He pointed the other stool with the peeler, and I slowly made my way towards it. The smell of strong coffee reaching my nostrils.

"Eat, bonbon." I looked up in confusion.

"I thought I was Bambi?" I blushed. Now it looked like I wanted it.