Fourteen (Revised)

All Isaac could see was an intense shade of pitch black. He peered to his left and his right, but he couldn't see anything besides darkness. He had no idea where he was, and his senses were cut off. He couldn't see, he couldn't hear, and he could hardly think. He was pretty sure that he was in another lucid dream, but he couldn't be certain. He was unsure of what to do, so he continued to stand where he was. He began to get paranoid, and a trickle of what he was sure was sweat slid down his face. He tried to look around once again, but there was nothing. He was alone, isolated from reality, and he was the universe, all at the same time. He could be anyone, anywhere, but he couldn't see it. He was blocked off from what there really was.

Isaac sat up.  He glanced over at the clock, and as always it was 7:00 A.M. He looked around and smiled. There were no small versions of him, filling his ears with everything that he was thinking. There was also no Max, something he was happy about as he got dressed, once again heading to the dining room. Interestingly enough, his parent's weren't anywhere. He went back into the kitchen, and no one was cooking. There was no breakfast laid out, but there was a box of raisin bran on the counter. He walked over to it and noticed there was a note next to it, so he read it in his head.

Sorry, Isaac. I was called into work for an emergency surgery, and dad has early-morning jury duty. Things will return to normal tomorrow, but for now there's some cereal next to this note. In case if you've forgotten, the bowls are in the above cabinet, the spoons are in the below drawer, and the milk is in the fridge.

Love you,

Mom.

Isaac chuckled at the joke about the bowls, even though it wasn't that funny and he grabbed a cereal bowl from the cabinet. He thought about his mother's surgery. Even though she was a doctor, she didn't do many surgeries; she had just gotten certification six months ago. Still, this must have been important, if she was being called in as well. The hospital must have needed everybody that they could get. He poured some cereal and milk in his bowl, grabbing a spoon and sitting down on the couch, just like old times. He placed his bowl on the coffee table and turned on the T.V. He tuned it to his new favorite show, Hell's Kitchen.

Just as he watched it, he realized that he had never planned a funeral for Lucy. The thought sat in the back of his mind as he watched the television screen. He eventually turned it off and worked on some weekend homework, (his math teacher was annoying like that), and he waited for his parents to arrive home. 

Isaac's dad was at the door first. He knocked, and then he creaked it open slowly. He walked inside and placed his cup of Starbucks coffee on the kitchen table, sitting on the couch. He sat for a few more minutes, and finally Isaac asked him how the jury duty was. He replied by telling the whole story about it.

"Well, the case was really interesting! There were two people, one who claimed he owned a motorcycle, and another who claimed that the first one had stole it. They had used to be friends, but now they were actually at each other's throats. They hated each other! Anyways, as I was saying, there was evidence for and against both people, but long story short we chose the first person to be guilty. He got sentenced to a year and a half in prison! But, I'm talking about myself too much. How was home?"

"It was fine. I watched some T.V, then worked on some math homework. Say... I have a question." Isaac replied.

"What?"

"Well," He beat around the bush a bit, worried what his dad would say. "We never had a funeral for Lucy, and I was wondering if we could, well, plan one."

"Oh my gosh, son! That reminds me, mom and I have been planing a funeral for her, slowly but surely."

"Really?" Isaac didn't say it aloud, but he wanted to be a part of planning that. It made him a little bit upset.