Prologue

A/N I hope you like it and I apologise in advance for any spelling/ grammar mistakes I've probably made.

"And last but not least the dorms, they're set up as 5 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms around a communal common room and kitchen. Go find the door with your name on it." Wow that was helpful. I stared at the other students and sighed. At least I didnt have to share a bathroom I guess but the whole sharing space thing didnt always work when you put different types of Others together. I walked down the hall and checked out the names taped to the doors; not finding my name until I reached the last one. I was just happy I didn't have to lug my stuff upstairs. I pushed open the door and almost hit someone standing on the other side.
"You know you shouldn't stand so close to the door..." the guy just smiled and bounced on the balls of his feet. Weird.
"Hi I'm Nathaniel but you can call me Nate." He offered me his hand, a few bangles jangling as he moved. The guy looked alright if a little spacey.
"Alexander... You picked a room yet?" I jestured around to the doors off the room we were in, assuming they were the bedrooms. Nate shook his head and the sun caught his hair making it shine a coppery red colour that reminded me of autumn leaves.
"Hey Keiran! Over here." A voice yelled outside the door and I stepped back just in time, grabbing Nate and draging him back a few steps too. Two guys stepped in, one looking a little dazed the other glaring at everything.
"They put me all the way back here?" Another voice whined as the door flung open hitting the dazed guy and knocking him flat.
"And I guess that makes five of us." I remarked, bored and more than a little tired, it had been a good 20 minutes since my last coffee.
"So which room is mine?" The dazed guy stood back up and looked around, pushing a pair of glasses up higher to stare at the rest of us. "Or do we choose?"
The poor guy basically screamed push-over, scruffy dark hair, eyes hidden behind specs, shortish and wiry looking. He was wearing his shirt untucked and I could see a few buttons were done up wrong. His friend on the other hand was taller than me and if looks could kill we'd all be dead. His grey-blue eyes seemed to challenge anyone to argue with him. It sent a shiver down my spine just looking at him.
The other guy looked...obnoxious. I don't know how but he just irritated me by being there. He was tall and well muscled with some of the greenest eyes I've seen outside a cat.
"So are we actually going to introduce ourselves or just stand here in awkward silence?" He asked his voice almost purring as he lounged against the wall. He had to be a cat shifter of some kind. It would explain part of why he put me on edge at least. Vampires and shifters are not friends.
"I'm Nate a nature spirit. Anyone want some tea?" that would explain him being so spacey, nature spirits were always connected to their tree or rock or whatever so they were never exactly all there.
"Coffee for me. Lots of sugar no milk." I started making my way to the kitchen only remembering we were supposed to be introducing ourselves after the cat guy smirked at me and introduced humself.
"Liam, werepanther. Nothing for me thank you Nate."
"Alexander, vampire in need of caffeine." I smiled at the smaller guy and tried to prompt him to speak.
"Jack." The cold boy said stiffly before heading to a room and shutting the door firmly behind him.
"Im Kieran, please excuse Jack he's actually a very nice person once you get to know him. Oh and I'm an elf in case you hadn't noticed the ears." He smiled and gestured to his pointy ears that were actually mostly hidden under his hair. "And tea sounds lovely Nate. I'll help you."
So there we had it a nature spirit, a werepanther, a vampire, an elf, and a 'nice guy once you get to know him'. This was shaping up to be an interesting year.