Super-people

“Ithink she’s getting up!”

It sounded like TJ. Once my vision cleared, I noticed I was lying down on a some kind of medical table, still in my sparring gear. I didn’t recognize the room. TJ and Tami poked their heads over me.

“What the living hell,” I said.

“Oh, she’s okay!” said Tami.

She put her hands on her chest in relief. TJ grinned.

“Training was fun—until we almost died.”

“Yeah, it was a blast.”

I narrowed my eyes as I took in the new room. It had a large table next to a glass wall. The glass wall kind of reminded me of a fish tank, minus the control panel in front of it. Other than that, it didn’t look too elaborate.

“Where are we?” I asked.

“In the H-chamber. Reevus took us here in an elevator inside his wall!” said TJ.

“It’s also a training area, adapted from the virtual mission simulators during the alien terrorism crisis. Once top-secret.”

Reevus emerged from a back room, followed by a tall Latina woman. He pulled out a little device that did a quick scan of me. After adjusting his specs, he nodded in satisfaction.

“Lucky for you, the Weaver didn’t get to do much lasting damage. It only sucked out your initial energy reserves. But your raak should regenerate shortly.”

“Slow down man. She doesn’t know what raak is yet. What’s up kid? I’m Carmen.”

Carmen, the Latina woman, held out her hand. I shook it. Reevus went on with his lecture.

“Well, raak is your energy that was manipulated by the Shukari on planet Pryddis—”

“It’s the red stuff. Your powers,” said Carmen.

She rolled her eyes at Reevus. He folded his arms.

“Will you allow me to explain what the Weaver is?”

“No. The Weaver’s the big tentacle monster that sucked your energy. We don’t know much about it.”

Reevus sighed. 

 “Anyway, here in the H-chamber, you’ll learn to use your raak, control it, and most importantly, to understand it—all of you will. It’s why I brought you here.”

“Why we brought you here,” Carmen corrected.

“Wait, you guys brought us here?” TJ said.

Reevus adjusted his specs and gave him a small smile.

“Of course we did. You three are going through a critical period in regards to your raak. This happens early in adolescence. It’s when your powers and abilities start to further develop, which also means the Solvakes can detect you more easily.”

“We’re still missing Drake.”

“He might be on one of the late shuttles. Keep an eye on them Carmen. We’ll need to scramble his scans too.”

Carmen nodded and disappeared into the back room again.

“This here’s the test tank. We’ll be using it to train you all. It can withstand the large amounts of energy you emit. Who wants to try it first?”

“Me!”

I raised my hand high.

“Alright Allison, if you’re feeling up to it, go ahead.”