Prologue: Pulling Strings

Note: This is a remake of another prologue. I removed the original because it didn't fit in with the rest of the story. Most of the comments here are about the original prologue, in case there's any confusion. Enjoy!

Dr. Baker never thought he’d fear an alien immigrant. “They’re a part of society now,” he always told himself. As strange as they looked, very few of them came off as aggressive. Even the ones with understandable animosity towards humans didn’t bother him. Then there came the Murian immigrants. Huge, four-legged, prone to violence; not to mention they liked to mutilate anyone who got on their bad side. The razor sharp ends of their legs made that an easy task. Plus, Murians were so loud, they had to wear sound regulators over their mouths in order to prevent deafening anyone they talked to. So no, Dr. Baker didn’t favor them. He just sat in the waiting room, sweating it out, cleaning his specs every five seconds. 

“Will you stop?”

Carmen, who sat next to him, smacked Dr. Baker’s hand when he reached for his specs again. She gave him an irritated shake of the head.

“You’re like a little boy. It’s just a conference. The Murian won’t mutilate you.”

“Actually, Murians mutilate whenever they please. If he deems me weak or unworthy of the conference, he will most definitely mutilate me.”

“Then you are getting mutilated if you keep that up. Just settle down man. It’s up to you to convince him to bring those kids. They have to get here or the Solvakes will have ‘em for breakfast.”

“I know, I know! I hate the idea of this conference, is all.”

“It was your idea!”

 “Why can’t you come with me? Or better yet, go instead of me?”

“You’re a thirty-year-old man, Reevus not a toddler. If you want, I can hold your hand and maybe he’ll give you a lollipop when it’s all over.”

“Alright, alright! I just need to breathe.”

“Besides, you know me. I don’t do diplomacy. This is all you.”

Dr. Baker sighed. Carmen was right of course. Everything came down to this conference; he couldn’t blow it. Right when he started getting his confidence back, the Murian emerged from the office.

“Dr. Reevus Baker!”

Dr. Baker jumped in his seat at the booming voice. Carmen rolled her eyes and shoved him towards the huge alien.

“Get some balls and go in there. We can’t have you pissing yourself every time he talks!”

After giving Carmen a child-like scowl, Dr. Baker followed the Murian into the office. The door sealed shut behind them. The office held only a single chair and a small desk. Dr. Baker glanced at his alien host, hoping he looked more confident than he felt. Once the Murian motioned for him to sit, he almost threw himself into the chair. The doctor couldn’t decide if he wanted more light or not. More light meant he could see the terrifying Murian better. Less light meant they could both hide in the shadows. He decided the darkness suited him better.

“So, Dr. Baker, your request is a most unusual one.”

The sound regulator made the Murian’s voice sound almost metallic. Dr. Baker didn’t dare answer.

“You want ARATO to draft these four humans immediately, correct?”

“Yes. As soon as possible. They need to get here. They’re not safe.”

The Murian made a strange noise. Was it a chuckle?

“Many people aren’t safe dear doctor. I’m afraid you’ll have to be more convincing.”

Dr. Baker took a deep breath. He opened up his digital, projecting the images of four teenagers in front of the Murian.

“You have to understand sir, these ones are special. Their abilities could decide the fate of the galaxy. Solvakes are hunting them already, they know about the power.”

“The Solvakes or the humans?”

“The Solvakes. I don’t know if these kids do.”

The Murian stared at the pictures, drumming his clawed hands on the table. Dr. Baker could hear the clopping of his four legs as he paced around. Even though he rejected religion, Dr. Baker prayed to some kind of deity that the Murian would agree. If this didn’t work, he’d have to resort to illegal measures.

“You realize, doctor, that these are children? They are young by human standards, barely reaching ARATO’s age limit for enlistment. But if they’re as powerful as you say, I might make an exception. ARATO drafts gifted individuals anyway.”

“Of course, thank you sir.”

“Don’t flatter me with gratitude quite yet, doctor. You realize I’m only making this exception because of your research on the Shukari, yes? And if your reports are accurate, these are them. These children are the Heroth.”

Dr. Baker nodded. The Murian went on.

“The drafting committee will not be as trusting in your claim as I am, doctor. I’ll tell you now. You can’t just put ‘Heroth’ under their gifted skill.”

“I’ve been tracking them for some time sir. I can put the necessary skills they have for drafting.”

The Murian chuckled again. His eyes, the only visible part of his face, narrowed.

“That is against the rules. But you already know that, don’t you Dr. Baker?”

“I do sir.”

“How rebellious of you. Very well then; insert their skills here. I will run them through the drafting committee, but I make no guarantees. If you get caught, don’t mention you saw me, or I will rip you apart in your jail cell. Same goes if I get any ramifications from this. Now get out.”

Dr. Baker jumped up from his seat, maybe looking too eager. Before he could bolt out the door, the Murian stopped him.

“And Dr. Baker.”

He turned back.

“Yes sir?”

“If we both get caught, I’ll rip you slowly, and leave your head for last. Make sure you know what you’re doing.”