The Long Drive (8) Bloody Mary {Part Three}

It was dark when we left Charlie. Like somebody had dropped a black veil around the world. We were headed to Estate Antiques, ready to end this nightmare. The Impala chugged along, a sweet purr against the drumming rain.

     "You know her boyfriend killing himself, that's not really Charlie's fault." Dean was saying to Sam as he took a left turn.

     "You know as well as I do spirits don't exactly see shades of gray, Dean. Charlie had a secret, someone died, that's good enough for Mary."

     I sat in the backseat, staring out of the window. The tears from Charlie and her question had stirred a lot of dark memories within me.

     "I guess." I could tell from the look in his face it didn't sit well with him.

     I coughed, eager to get away from the subject, "You know, I've been thinking. It might not be enough to just smash that mirror."

     "Why, what do you mean?" Dean asked, glancing at me

     I shrugged, "Well Mary's hard to pin down, right? I mean she moves around from mirror to mirror so who's to say that she's not just gonna keep hiding in them forever? It's what I would do."

     "We could summon her." Sam said, as if he'd already been thinking about it. My forehead creased.

     "Oh yeah?" Dean challenged, "Who's supposed to summon her?"

     "Me." Sam said in a quietly determined voice, "She'll come after me."

     "You know what, that's it." said Dean furiously. He pulled off the road, and cut the engine. The sound of the impala was lost, and the sound of rain over-took. I felt awkward waiting for Dean to explode on Sam. This was their business, not mine. Sam must have known it was coming too, because he was staring blankly at the implala's dashboard.

    "This is about Jessica, isn't it?" Dean's voice filled with intensity, "You think that's your dirty little secret? That you killed her somehow?"

     Sam was quiet. He kept his gaze blank and aimed at the dashboard.

     "Sam, this has got to stop, man. I mean, the nightmares and calling her name out in the middle of the night--it's gonna kill you." Dean tightened his grip on the wheel, silently hoping for a response. When it never came, he continued, "Now listen to me-It wasn't your fault. If you wanna blame something, then blame the thing that killed her. Or hell, why don't you take a swing at me? I mean, I'm the one that dragged you away from her in the first place."

     "I don't blame you, Dean." Sam interjected quietly. I felt guilt trickle through the bond and fidgeted in my seat. I stared out the window still, watching everything and expecting anything.

     "Well you shouldn't blame yourself, because there's nothing you could've done."

     "I could've warned her."

     "About what? You didn't know what was gonna happen! And besides, none of this is a secret. Roslyn and I know all about it."

     Sam looked up to the rearview mirror at the same time as I did and caught my gaze. I felt it. I felt secrets upon secrets upon darkness in that gaze.

     "You never told us the whole story, did you, Sam?" I asked quietly.

     "Excuse me?" Dean said, looking between the two of us. My gaze did not break with Sam's.

     "I said, he's been keeping secrets." It was unfair of me to say this, as I'm aware, because Sam and Charlie weren't the only ones with secrets. For God's sake, I knew the demon who'd killed their mother because Michael told Castiel in my presence. I wasn't allowed to speak of heaven or give hope. I hadn't spoke of Isaac or Ethan McCarthy or Liam, my three biggest scars.