The Long Drive (2)

The Long Drive (2)

     When the day broke that morning, with just a small hint of darkness to cover me, I left as soon as possible. If what Balthazar said was true-- that Demons had pinpointed me-- then I had absolutely no time to lose. With a dufflebag of all my clothes, and Luna under my arm, I left, running all the way to the apartment complex gates without looking back.

     Very unwisely of me, I never invested in a car. The breezy air felt nice on my too warm skin. I didn't get out much, I never had the chance. Once I found a safe place, I stayed there, only leaving for grocery runs. Truthfully, I wanted nothing more than to walk among the humans, unnoticed, and be a part of this world. Being a heaven made/hell tainted secret weapon had it's advantages and disadvantages.

     I felt an uncanny connection to the Earth that others can never have. There had been others like me, three to be specific; but never at the same time. My race is ancient. Only one can live at a time. It has something to do with a balance of power. Once one dies, another is born into the world, and taught by angels. You have the decision to either stay in heaven, or be sent down to Earth to have free will until they need you again.

     My mind raced, and all my senses were on high alert. Demons were especially careful around me, because I'd had vague training on how to spot them. Too bad the "gift" I have wouldn't serve me very well in a fight. I'm about as useful as a newborn baby with big, dewy eyes.

     I puffed my cheeks in frustration. I'd been walking for a few miles now, and I was hungry. I hadn't ate since lunch yesterday. The only thing that seemed promising was a small diner that sat atop a hill. Luna wiggled around, hopping to the ground and starting ahead of me.

     I had cat food in my dufflebag for her, so I could set some down and allow her to eat just as I would.

     Tiredly, I walked up the hill. The diner was small and friendly with large glass paned windows that let the afternoon light stream inside.

     I opened the door, and the bell rang softly, alerting my presence to the staff. I was pleased that they weren't busy. In fact, I was the only one. I would have though they were closed, if not for the blonde, bored looking cashier that was twirling her hair behind the counter.

     "Welcome to the Riverside Diner, here is your menu. I'm Corbett, and I'll be your server today." said a cute boy in his early twenties. He beamed at me, showing off a perfectly normal, crooked smile. He passed me a menu and his eyes paused on Luna, "Um... I guess that's fine. The manager never said no pets."

     I gave him a relieved and grateful smile as Luna let out a low growl. It startled me slightly. Corbett led me to table 12 and I slid into the booth easily.

     He didn't take out a pad, but smiled friendly, "What'd'you want?"

     "Bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese." I said politely, unzipping the duffle bag and getting out a small tuperware container of cat food. I set it down and Luna began eating.

     "Bacon and scrambled cheese eggs!" He yelled to the blond at the counter. He looked back down to me, "I'm almost on my break. Mind if I sit with you while your food is cooking?"

     I hesitated but nodded, "Yeah, sure."

     Corbett slid into the seat across from me.

     "So are you a traveler?" He asked, nodding towards my duffle bag.

     "Yes." I lied skillfully, "I'm just waiting for something to happen."

     Okay, so the last part wasn't a total lie. Balthazar's words were still haunting me;