Ch. 4 Meeting Destiny

The next morning, Sigh climbed out of bed, his bare feet jumping when they hit the cold wooden floor. He debated whether he should to go back to sleep or get up and go for a run. If he didn't go for a run, he would pay for it later. So he climbed out of bed.

He pulled out his black running clothes and got dressed. The cold, crisp air would be refreshing and inviting to his overheated body. He glanced at the clock before going upstairs. It was 7am. 

He was quiet when he went out the front door, feeling the bite of cold air as he stepped out onto the front porch. God it felt good. The first day of his three week vacation. It was going to be great.

His body fell into motion as his breathing found its pattern. The cold crisp air was welcoming. Sigh appreciated the trees.  The leaves were vibrant reds, oranges and yellows. It was breathtaking. The leaves in the City changed too, but it was different among buildings versus whole mountains, painted like a canvas. 

The end of the road brought him to a large mirror like lake.  Sigh took in the scenery.  No one else was around. Everything was quiet, not even a bird was singing. The sun was peaking over the horizon, showing off the vibrant trees. He paced himself, focusing on his breathing as he made his way around the lake.

Lost in his breathing, Sigh looked up and noticed a blue figure ahead of him on the trail. This person was so far ahead he couldn't make out if they were male or female. His/her pace was much slower than Sigh's and he was gaining on them quickly. As he got closer, he realized she had long brunette hair pulled back into a ponytail.  Her petite, athletically fit body was perfectly silhouetted in tight running clothes. It was a woman, a good looking woman.

Sigh watched her little tush flex and relax with every stride she took. He could feel himself transform, as a hot need started to pulse through his veins. 'God', he lectured himself, 'get a grip on yourself'. He wanted to stop chasing down women just for sex. So he just needed to stop. 

She must have sensed him coming closer, because she turned her head to look at him, big green eyes politely smiling at him as she stepped to the side for him to pass.

Except his body had no intention of passing. Sigh cursed himself again, but he still felt the pull towards her. Not only was Sigh used to approaching women for sex, he was also used to getting it. He had that appeal, and the looks to compliment it.

He slowed down to meet her stride and attempted to introduce himself.

"Good Morning," he said to her, slipping into his suave manliness.

At first she didn't respond, throwing Sigh off kilter. Then she pulled out her Ipod and paused it.

"I'm sorry, did you need something?" she asked him innocently, a polite smile on her face. God, her eyes were an awesome shade of emerald green.  Sigh felt lost. 

Her voice took him by surprise. It was light with a seductive tone, very similar to Grace's voice. He took a second to regroup himself.

"Good Morning," he told her politely, shaking a feeling of awareness as he smiled at her.

"Oh, good morning," she responded, embarrassment in her voice. There was Grace again. What was wrong with him? This woman didn't look anything like Grace. She was beautiful but in a different way.

"Are you from around here?" he asked her, forcing the conversation to continue.  

He saw annoyance flash across her face for a split second.

"Yes," she answered curtly in a short tone. He still heard Grace.

"I'm on vacation, visiting friends. Any suggestions where I could get a good meal?  I'd love to treat you to lunch," he spoke, using a timeless pick up line that worked many times before.  

What was he doing? He was here on a break, not to pick up another woman. But when he looked at her, the animal took over. He felt a raw need to engage with this woman. As if it was his only chance to lock her in.

"I'm sorry.  I don't.  I must get going back. Have a nice run," she curtly replied.

Sigh was stunned by the jarring.  He watched as she pressed play on her Ipod and placed it back in her pocket. Before he could retort, she quickened her pace, striding out in front of him.

Sigh stopped in his tracks and watched as she disappeared.

"Wow," he told himself. That was a first. That pick up line always worked.  

Frustration building inside him, he picked up his pace again, gaining speed. At first he didn't see her on the trail, and he wondered if she took off in a different direction. Then her red figure appeared on the other side of the lake.  If he picked up his speed, he could catch up with her. He wasn't going to let her off that easily. He pushed himself forward.

She must have sensed him again, because she stepped to the side, this time not meeting his eyes. He stopped in front of her so that she almost collided with him. He reached out to steady her and she backed up, startled.  

Did she feel the electricity pass through them too?

She sighed, which was actually cute, pulled her Ipod out and paused it again.

"Can I help you?" she asked him, annoyance heavy in her tone. 

Sigh had a second of doubt, but the pull towards her overpowered it. There was something so familiar about her.

"I asked if you were interested in lunch and I didn't catch your response," he defined. The successful business man was now coming out.  He'd have her one way or another.  

"I didn't respond, "she clarified, "I hoped you'd get the hint that I'm not interested. If you go into town, though, I can guarantee that you would find someone in minutes," she explained, her eyes doing a quick survey of his body.  A survey that heated his blood again.

"And why aren't you interested? It's just a friendly lunch. Nothing more," he challenged.

"Like I said, I'm not interested. Besides, I have to work. I won't be able to stop for lunch," she told him in a short and clipped tone.

"And why aren't you interested?  Are you spoken for?  I don't see a ring," he denounced.

"I'm just not," her voice held a hint of a plead, "Now please, be on your way," she told him, brushing him away with her fragile hand.

"All right," he threw his arms up, "I get the message. Can I ask just one thing?"

"What?" her tone was curt with anger now.

"What's your name?" Sigh asked her. 

"My name?" she paused for a minute, calculating her answer, "Natalie. Now please, since your pace is quicker than mine, go!" she almost begged him.

"Natalie.  Until we meet again..." Sigh bent from his waist, in an old fashioned curtsy then jogged away.  He looked back at her and smiled one last time. He was being obnoxious and he knew it. But he couldn't help feeling something ... familiar ... about her. A familiarity he needed to investigate further. If she would let him.