Ch. 3 Arrival

Sigh jumped when the plane made contact with the ground. He must've fallen asleep.

"Are we there all ready?" Sigh questioned, pulling his phone out from his back pocket to look at the time. There were five missed calls from Ashley.

" YOU LEFT A BAG!" a text blared at him.

Shit. Sigh did a quick inventory of his bags. He left behind the bag with his bathroom stuff. Damn. He'd have to run to the store in the morning.

"And I thought Ashley was calling me to say goodbye," Sigh told Jules, showing him the text message.

"Looks like you're going grocery shopping in the morning," Jules laughed.

"Looks like it."

"Do you have a car or is someone picking you up?" Jules asked him looking around.

"I had Charlie pick up the rental for me earlier today and leave it there," he pointed to a luxury SUV on the far end of the small run way.

Sigh quickly said goodbye to Jules and made his way across the runway to the rental. The air was crisp and cold, just as Charlie had informed him. Sigh was looking forward to the heated seats in the SUV.

The drive up to Charlie's cabin was usually 45 minutes. Because it was so late, the road was quiet and dark and no other cars were in site. The trees along the road were shedding their leaves, so Sigh could see past the tree line to the mountains beyond. Homes dotted them with lights, creating an almost magical twinkle in the distance.

Sigh's phone began to ring.

"How close are you?" Charlie asked when he answered.

"I'm guessing twenty minutes."

"Alright. We'll wait up."

"You don't have to."

"Are you kidding. Amy's like a little kid waiting for Christmas."

"Okay. I'll see you when I get there."

Charlie and Sigh were freshman college roommates in the well known Architecture college they were attending. They had grown really close, sharing women, drinks and homework together for that whole first year. Then Charlie's father died of a sudden heart attack and Charlie had to return home to take over his father's grocery store, which had been in the family for generations.

The first time Sigh went to Georgia to visit Charlie after his father's death, he and Charlie spent most of Sigh's visit out on the back porch, drinking and talking about their old college days. They threw wild parties and spent most of their time together drunk, rather than sober. Charlie was reckless, spending the small fortune his father left behind. Then he met the logical, maternal and strong willed Amy, who whipped him back into shape and helped get him back onto the track of success.

Sigh liked Amy and was grateful that his friend found someone to help him through his hard times. She was a good, small town woman, who looked forward to creating a home for their family. They got married three years ago, just before Sigh's accident. Sigh and Grace planned on attending Charlies wedding and Sigh planned to propose to Grace during the reception.

Sigh frowned when he thought about the ring, sitting in it's small, black box, in his top drawer at home. He couldn't bring himself to return it after the accident, so he kept it in his drawer. It was a single solitaire stone, mounted on a platinum band, with old fashioned detailing. It was an elegant ring, one designed for a princess. Maybe someday he could give it to someone he felt worthy enough to have it.

He glanced at the clock, 10:53pm. He was almost there. Five more minutes. He didn't feel tired at all, but he knew the minute he hit the bed, he would fall asleep.

Sigh never had the chance to introduce Grace to Charlie. He regretted that too. He felt a lot of regret over what he should have done. He spent the last three years dwelling on what he should have done. But he decided he had to move on.

He took the final turn onto the rocky driveway to the top of the mountain. The outside lights were on when he pulled up, illuminating his path to the good sized cabin. The sound of the SUV crawling over the gravel driveway signaled Sighs arrival and Charlie and Amy appeared on the front porch, bundled up in flannel pajamas. Charlie came down the porch steps to greet Sigh with strong hug.

"Amy was just about to call again. How was your trip?" Charlie asked him, following him to the back of the truck to help him unload. Amy came down after Charlie, walking awkwardly on the gravel driveway in her slippers. She reached up and gave him another deep and strong hug. Sigh could feel the emotion coming through her.

"The trip was fine. I'm just glad to finally be here," Sigh hugged Amy back.

"Come on, let's get inside. It's freezing out here," Amy told the men, rushing back to the house.

Sigh followed them, immediately feeling the warmth as they walked in the perfectly sized cabin. Sigh smiled when he took in the red country motif, which was clearly chosen by Amy. He stripped off his jacket and hung it on the hooks by the front door, following Charlie down the front entrance hall into the main section of the house. There was a fire crackling in the fireplace and the TV on the far wall was broadcasting the weather.

"How was your trip?" Amy asked him, snuggling on the couch.

"I fell asleep."

"Well, that would make it go faster."

"It did."

"How was the rental? Nice huh?" Charlie asked.

"As nice as the price. You guys can go to bed. I know you're tired. We can catch up in the morning," Sigh told them, putting his bags down on the wooden floor.

"You sure?" Amy asked, hiding a yawn behind her hands.

"Of course. The only thing I need is a toothbrush. I left that bag in Ashley's car," Sigh explained.

"Oh, no problem, let me grab one. How's Ashley? Is she making out better than the last one?" Amy asked as she went into the hall bathroom and grabbed a toothbrush from the medicine cabinet.

"Not really. But I'm stupid for keeping her. The damn girls in the City are like poison," he admitted.

"Oh Sigh, you've gotta stop with that and find yourself a nice girl," Amy told him as she handed him a tooth brush.

"You're right, but I can't seem to find one of those."

"That could be because you are looking in bars and clubs," she started to lecture. Sigh looked over to Charlie for support. Charlie just threw his arms up in surrender.

"I'm not getting involved in that one."

"Alright, we can continue that conversation tomorrow," she stated, "You can sleep downstairs. Then you have privacy," Amy informed him, directing Sigh towards the stairs, just off the kitchen that lead into the basement.

"Thanks, " Sigh smiled at Amy, who was practically jumping with excitement that he had finally arrived, aside from her lecturing.

The bear-decorated room was warm from the crackling cedar wood in the fireplace. He was finally here, enjoying the start of his vacation.

"Well guys, I'm going to bed. I'm tired. I'll see you in the morning. I'll make you guys breakfast when I get up," Amy told them, hugging Sigh again. "Good night, I'm glad you're here," she kissed his cheek and departed.

"Good night, Sweetie," Charlie told her, kissing her goodnight before she walked up the steps.

"I think I'm going to hit the sack too. I'm exhausted," Sigh told Charlie, hoping he wouldn't offend his friend.

"No problem. You had a long trip. I get it. I'll see you in the morning. Let me know if you need anything else," Charlie told him as he followed his wife's footsteps up the stairs.

"Thanks man. I'll see you in the morning," Sigh told him, digging through his bag for some pajamas.

Sigh took a quick, hot shower in the beautifully carved stone bathroom and snuggled into the queen sized bed. He was out in five minutes, just as he predicted.