Chapter Nine

Emily had butterflies swarming in her stomach as she followed Parker into his house. Their house. That's what Parker had told her to call it. She knew this was crazy and that the whole world would think they were moving too fast but she didn't care… She knew that her and Parker were meant to be together. When they had been younger their own immaturity and circumstances beyond their control had kept them apart. But this time they would make it work.

Parker turned the lights on and sat Emily's suitcases on the couch. He walked back out to the truck and came in with the pack n play playpen he had bought.

Emily watched him pull it out of the bag and stare at it like it was the most complicated algebra equation he had ever seen. She grinned, sat Wyatt's carrier on the floor and with a practiced ease she pulled it from Parker's hands and had it set up within seconds. Parker scratched his head and looked over at her.

"Guess I got some things to learn." he said. Emily smiled.

"You'll do fine." she assured him. Parker picked Wyatt up out of his carrier and handed him to Emily.

"Where is he sleeping?" Parker asked. "I have a spare room we can make into a nursery or would you rather he sleep in our room?"

"Our room…" Emily said liking the way the words sounded. They had lived together after the accident in that tiny apartment in town but neither had truly been themselves during that time. It was going to be different now.

"Okay, I'll take his playpen to our room." Parker said and Emily grabbed his arm to stop him.

"No. The spare room is fine for him.  I just liked the way 'our room' sounded when you said it." Parker smiled broadly and carried the play pen back to the spare room which was across the hall from the master bedroom. Then he came back out to the hall.

"I got it set up in there. I'm gonna go get a shower." he said. Emily nodded while blushing awkwardly. She wasn't sure how she should act. Parker looked just as awkward when he ran his hand through his dark hair and walked to the bathroom.

Parker took more time than usual in the shower. He hadn't cared one bit about what he looked or smelled like the last six years but ever since Emily had come back to town he'd found himself caring again.

He stepped out of the shower and dried himself off before tying the towel around his waist. He ran his fingers through his dark hair to try to comb out the tangles and made a mental note to go to the barber shop the next day on lunch. He shaved his stubble covered face but not enough to make it smooth because he could remember how Emily had always said she liked him scruffy.

He cursed at the nerves that had his stomach tied in knots. He hadn't even been this nervous when he was sixteen and had lost his virginity to Emily down by the riverbank at his parent's house. No this was different. He was no longer that boy he'd been.. He was a man now and Emily was a woman.

Parker realized he hadn't brought any clothes into the bathroom and he prayed that Emily would still be in the spare room with Wyatt so he could sneak to the bedroom and get some. He didn't know if they were sharing a bed tonight or if she was sleeping in the other spare room and he certainly didn't want her to see him wearing nothing but a towel and think that he had just assumed they were going to make love.

But when he got to the bedroom she was already there and his heart damn near blew out of his chest when he saw her. She was sitting on the edge of the bed in a faded sleeveless cotton gown. Her hair was hanging loose on her pale, bare shoulders. She was biting her lip and blushing nervously as she looked over at him.

When she stood up Parker knew he was a goner. The gown was loose and damn near see through in the low lamp light. He could see the outline of her perky breasts and her tiny hips through the fabric.