Chapter Eight

John felt like his head was going to explode and he opened his eyes looking around and trying to figure out where he was. He was lying on the hard tile floor of the diner. He saw Emily sitting in a booth wrapped in the arms of the man who had punched him. John picked himself up off the floor and glared at the two of them.

"Get your hands off my wife!" he said angrily. Parker shook his head and kissed Emily's hair.

"I'll kill both of you!" John yelled and he was starting toward them when he heard a throat clear behind him. He turned around and saw a sheriff standing there with a big fat man on one side of him and a small nerd in a suit on the other side. He saw that the diner was completely empty other than the six of them and that the curtains were closed.

"Why don't you sit down for a minute, John. I got a proposition for you." Parker said from the booth. John knew he had no choice but to listen. He walked over to the booth glaring at Emily as he sat down across from her and her rescuer.

Parker noticed the threatening stare that John was giving to Emily and he didn't like it one bit.

"Hey, tough guy. Why don't you glare at somebody your own size?" he asked and John immediately turned his gaze to him.

"Who are you?"

"Parker." Parker replied and then he frowned when he saw the questioning look John gave him.

"You never talked to him about me? Ever?" Parker asked Emily. Emily bit her lip and shook her head.

"You don't exactly tell your current partner about your ex partner that you're still in love with… It doesn't really make for good dinner date conversation." she replied and Parker nodded while John's face turned fifteen different shades of red in his anger. John looked over at the officer.

"Officer, arrest this man! He assaulted me!" John said pointing to the welt on his jaw. Tyler looked over at Hank.

"Hank did you see anyone get assaulted?" he asked and Hank shook his head. Tyler looked over at Greg.

"Greg?" Greg shook his head.

"No sir." he said. Tyler looked back at John and shrugged while putting his thumbs through his belt loops.

"Far as I saw, you tripped and banged your face on the table." he said.

"Clumsy. Clumsy." Parker added opening up a packet of toothpicks and sticking one his mouth. He held one out to John.

"Want one?" he asked. John shoved his hand away roughly.

"Parker, my wife and I need to be getting home. What exactly did you want to talk about?" he asked.

"Emily, is not going anywhere with you." Parker replied. "Greg can you hand me that folder?" he asked. Greg walked over and handed it to Parker and both Emily and John looked at it curiously because neither knew what was in it or what Parker was up to.

"You are going to sign these before you leave here today." Parker said pulling out a copy of the divorce papers that Emily had sent to John in New York. John looked at them and then snorted and threw them down.

"No I won't. The bitch is not divorcing me." he said. Parker grinned and rolled the toothpick across his lips.

"I don't know how you do things up in New York." he said. "But around here we don't talk to women that way.  Especially when there is a cop, a lawyer, a witness and an ex Army sniper in the room." John looked around at everyone and wondered what one was the ex army sniper. Then he looked back at Parker and the way he was grinning and the gleam in his eyes and he knew….