16 Letters : Letter #2

THREE

 Dear Dylan,

               Kindness was one of the traits that drew me to you. I’ll always remember how nice of a guy you were and what a gentleman the five year old you, turned out to be. Honey, please get Haley a pet dog for her birthday today. It’ll teach her kindness. I’m sure of it. I’ll always love you both.

 Love, Katie

                                                                                    -

    “Wake up sleepy head!” I coaxed my two year old to resist playing dolls with her imaginary friends in Dream Land and to join me in the waking world. Her eyes fluttered open and I’m greeted with wide gray eyes that are temporary enemies toward the bright light in her room. She squinted several times and finally adjusted her eyes to the light.

    “Dada, is it mwai buff day today?” Haley asks me as I laughed out loud at her little error. “Yes honey. It’s your buff day today! And guess what?” I say. Haley sat up in bed and pats at her pillow gently, then leaned back comfortably in it. “What?” she asked, being very nonchalant about it. “You get a special birthday present today. Courtesy of mommy” I told her.

                                                                                   ***

    “Weh ah we going?” my daughter asks again and again in her tiny voice. “Oh you’ll see” I said to her, pulling up in front of the pet store. “Ah we?” Haley asked me excitedly, as we got out of the car. She was visibly ecstatic at my choice of location for today. “Yes honey. We are” I told Haley and watched as her face light up and she started clapping her hands together gleefully.

    “Hello there” the store assistant greeted us, bending down to speak to my daughter, as soon as we stepped into the pet store. “What can we get the both of you?” she asked, smiling as she looked up at me. “Well. We’re looking for a pet!” I announced happily. “Oh what kind?” the shop assistant asked further questions. “It’s Haley’s birthday present. I’m letting her choose” I offered nicely.

   Haley ran off around the store, observing all her friends. She seemed upset at first that they were in cages but lightens up when she finds the one she wants to bring home. “Dada! Dada!” Haley calls me and beckons for me to come over and share her joy. “This one! This one!” Haley points at a tiny Yorkshire Terrier who was half asleep, only to be jolted awake by Haley’s squeals and laughter. “We’re taking it home” I tell the shop assistant and before I even knew it, we’re off in our car heading home with ‘Squeep’ on Haley’s lap.

   When we got home, the first thing I needed Haley to do was to help me give Squeep a bath. “Squeep, get in the watahhh!” Haley got frustrated when our pet wouldn’t take a bath. “Honey, be nice” I tell Haley sternly, hoping to instill some values in my two year old but failing miserably at it. “Squeeeeeep!” Haley screams again and I sat down with my head in my hands. Boy, this thing about kindness is going to take a while Katie.