The Story

Long ago there was a legend about a young lady that despite everything wanted to save her father and her family. During the Northern Wei dynasty* women were not seen as equals to men* and still aren't today, but this young lady that was filled with courage and love for her father earned honor for her family by trusting her heart. The Wei dynasty was in great turmoil because of invasions due to a lack of a good Government support system before the great adviser Cui Hao came and introduced Chinese administrative methods* and other things that could help the people of the Wei kingdom. Even so there were still conflicts and battles to be fought.

"Thus the Khan* ordered many men of age to fight in their endeavor to protect the nation. And so you went in your father's stead. Right mom?" said a young boy of six with hair as black as obsidian and eyes of liquid gold that were filled with excitement and wonder when his mother spoke of the tale of her battles.

"She suffered yet persevered through many trails on her way through battle after battle. Never giving up and never ever quitting!" yelled the girl of equal age. Although her eyes were a more chocolate brown her looks were the same as her twin brother's.

"Hey Mae I wanted to finish the tale!"

"Well why can't both of you say it since you obviously have heard it enough?" the kids squealed in excitement as they saw their father enter the door and open his large hands for his welcome home hug. "Father!" the twins ran to him and welcomed him home as best as they could. This was the way of their family. Although some of their customs were like other families in China there are still some that they did not follow. For example, each day both children trained with their mother in the back part of their land where no one else could see. Their father knew this and didn't mind for there were many invaders around the borders and he wanted his children to protect themselves if, for whatever reason, their mother or father was not around. Many families lost loved ones during this time. It was difficult for so few military men to protect everyone all the time. This day and age was filled with fear and little courage. So for the sake of protecting his family he would go against everything their family was taught for generations in order to keep them safe. Ping looked over at Mulan and smiled he knew she was teaching them better than any other master.

Suddenly a loud crash was heard from next door and the screams of children was evident. "Mae and Tai go out into the back grab the daggers and if you see anyone come. You must run don't fight just run as far as you can. Do not stop. Do you understand?" The children looked at their mother and father one last time then ran for their lives. Fearful of what was to happen, but they knew that someday everything will be alright again.

Many years have passed since Mae and Tai ran from their ancestral home. They do not know if their parents are safe or not but they keep moving forward. "Mae do you have those plans the General wants?"

"Yea I do the plan is laid out already in the General's quarters." We find our 18 year old heroes in Luoyang the capital of the Wei kingdom*. Far away from eminent danger due to the kind general that keeps his adopted kids close to him. These twins were amazingly skilled in the way of war. Tai is skilled in strategizing and highly intelligent while Mae is the fighter that is still to this day tougher than some of General Erzhu Rong's* subordinates. The general was requested by the emperor to attend some secret meeting with all the leading generals. Despite the twins knowing that any secret meeting held without the emperor could be considered treason, they continued to stay by their adopted father's side. The emperor was very young and his mother was the one actually pulling the strings. She doesn't look after the people of China and she treats everyone horribly, so just like their mother, they decided to fight for what is right.

"Tai did you tell the general that his nephew has come in to help along the boarders?" Mae said as she pulled the flaps of the war tent back to see that her brother was once again looking over battle plans.

"Yeah. Hey you need to watch your voice... It hit a high pitch that doesn't sound like a guys." He said looking up at his sister sitting across from him with her feet propped on the table scattered with maps and writing tools.

"I know, but it is just us since all the soldiers are preparing to escort the general and the other half is watching Erzhu Zhao*."

"Brother if they find out about you they will still kill you. Remember when mom told us that is what dad was supposed to do to her when he realized who she was? We can't afford that to happen to you. We have to find them as soon as possible." Sighing, Tai knew he was a little harsh on his sister, but he didn't want to lose her as well. They didn't know where their parents were, but they didn't give up. Especially when they returned to their homeland a few months back to only find the burnt ruins of the town.

After months of grueling training and planning and never ending moments of waiting. They received word that General Erzhu was killed due to empirical speculation of being a traitor*. Well that was the report. But the twins knew for a fact that the emperor is just extremely anxious since all the wars and such. But he did have his grounds with the general. Although he adopted them they knew that it was only because of their skills nothing else. They knew they were using him as well. Yes, they respected their adopted father and appreciated the fact that he sheltered them, but it was only because both sides satisfied the needs of the other side.

They needed to find their parents that's all they have ever wanted since they were six and the agrarian rebellions* affected their home village. As the young heroes were thinking on things they could not change they over heard the vile things the nephew of the general was planning on doing to their country.

"That pathetic excuse for an emperor will pay for this. Get my men and tell them to spread the word. We are getting rid of that sick man and taking over ourselves! We can't allow this to go on! Have the men start a little scare in the villages near here we are going to have a little fun." The twins were shocked and bile rose in their mouths. They knew this wasn't right. An old friend showed up as the heroes were leaving the battle camping post his name was Gao Huan* he is strict but loyal and he was the man that brought the heroes to General Erzhu. "So you're leaving now?"

"Yes master Huan please don't stop us we can't be a part of something like that." Mae pleaded with the retainer that trained with her every day since arriving at their post. She knew he knew she was a female but he never said anything he only made sure that no one else found out. She didn't know why he didn't tell, but she figured that it was because that was the type of guy he has always been. "I understand. There is something I will need you to do though. If you don't mind."

And so Gao Huan let them leave but he asked them to take care of a friend of his who went by the name of Yuan Baoju*. They took him with them and they all received an unexpected companion along the way. "Mom!!!!" The twins yelled gleefully she smiled at them and wept tears of joy "my dear children how are you?"

"We are alright but where is dad?" Mae questioned hesitantly. Mulan smiled a bitter smile and told the twins of how their father died honorably in battle saving their childhood friends and managing to get a majority of the villagers to safety in Chang'an.

Many months go by quickly as the family grieved for their loved one as well as working to protect villages that were victims to the general's nephew. Eventually news hit that he overthrew the previous emperor and place Yuan Gong as the new emperor and that the general's loyal retainer was rebelling against the Erzhu clan*.

The year is already 532 and by this time he overthrew the emperor and placed Yuan Xiu* but as the year 534 came around the new emperor was tired of being Huan's pawn and therefore called in a friend to help. "Mulan so good to see you. Please help me. I don't want this I only did this because... Well because I was terrified." The young emperor said as he was biting his nails.

"Mae will escort you to Chang'an there a man named Yuwen Tai* will protect you." And of course as time goes on the Hua family continued to protect as they usually did till they died but what history does not say is that Yuwen Tai was actually our hero Tai only his last name changed to protect the innocent. They lived as close to normal as they could but Mae decided to train others like her mother trained her. And of course she always told the legend of Mulan therefore causing the flame of a hero to rise in the next generation, but that is a different tale to tell so for now I leave you with a happily ever after.