Chapter-23 *Wrong Move*✔

*Jessica's P.O.V. *

I didn't need to open my eyes to know who did it, but I slowly opened them and found a very angry Max.

His eyes were dark and jaw clenched. He was just a few inches away from me, and our noses were almost touching.

I bit my lip nervously and he groaned loudly, "Don't do that."

"What?" I asked, getting confused.

He shook his head. "Never mind. Just tell me what's going on between you and Noah," he said staring at me.

My blood started boiling. How dare he? I pushed him back and gave him a death glare. I started walking away. He quickly grabbed me by my waist and pinned me again. He put his hands on my shoulders and looked at me angrily.

"I asked you something," he hissed. "Answer me."

"Mind your own business and leave me," I said trying to escape, but his gripped tightened. Tears fell from my eyes as the pain stung. "Max, you are hurting me."

What's happening with me? I was never this weak. I've to control my emotions. I couldn't let him know about my feelings. His eyes softened, and he quickly removed his hands and scratched the back of his neck nervously.

"I'm... sorry. Shit, I screwed everything up," he muttered angrily and punched the nearby wall.

I gasped looking at his hand. His knuckles had started bleeding. I was about to touch his hand but he took a few steps back. His face was serious and expressionless. I tried to search his face for any kind of emotion, but there was nothing. It was like he had worn some kind of mask to hide everything. He crossed his arms and leaned against the opposite wall.

"Do you like him?" he asked, lifting his eyebrow.

It took me a minute to understand his question. "Seriously, Max? After doing this stupid stunt you expect me to answer that question? Your hand is bleeding, let's go to the dispensary."

He shook his head. "First, answer me."

"Will you come with me after that?" I asked and he nodded.

I sighed, "No, we are just friends. But, I'm not sure if we are anymore or not," I mumbled the last part.

"What did you say? I didn't heard the last part," he asked, taking few steps in my direction.

"Nothing important, now let's go," I said as I started walking and grabbed his hand.

I was expecting more arguments, but nothing happened, so I turned to face him and found an amused expression. I mentally slapped myself for giving him signals that I cared for him.

We reached the dispensary and I released his hand, signaling him to go inside.

"You're not coming inside with me?" he asked, disappointed.

"I've more important things to do," I lied, hoping he didn't catch my wavering voice.

He was taken aback with my response, and without responding, he rushed inside. Guilt started forming inside me, but I reminded myself what happened in the classroom.

Don't fall for the jerk!

*******

"Mahi, for God's sake, just shut up," I growled.

After finishing my dinner, when I came back to my room, I noticed a missed call from my best friend so I decided to tell her everything.

"Whatever, you're still telling me if anything happens between you and Max, understand?" Mahi asked.