chapter 22

We got outside and I turned around to walk backward. I looked at Leo. His face looked like he was thinking of something big. So I decided to ask him one of the many questions floating around in my head.

"Do you think that your father will be mad at me because I broke that glass?" I asked. Leo shook his head. "No, he has know forever that you are a bender. He knew something like that could possibly happen. It just did," he said. I nodded. Good. I didn't need him being mad at me. I just couldn't take that. I needed some adult support, and he was all there really was left.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked Leo. "I'm not sure how my dad ill take me being a life bender. I need to tell him tonight, but I'm scared," he said. "Well, I need to spend some time with Max. I haven't been around that much. So how about, when I'm doing that, you talk to him," I suggested. "I guess that would work," Leo said.

When we walked in the door, we had a guest. The guest was the last person I expected to see. Sammy. Why was he here. The orphanage wasn't done yet. I knew that for a fact. I just went by there on the bus the other day. It was still messed up.

"What are you doing here?" I politely asked. "Lexi, don't talk to him that way!' Mr. Daniels yelled at me. "Sorry," I said. "I am here to give you your relocation letters. You leave Sunday. Now I have to go." Sammy said. Then he gave Mr. Daniels an odd look and walked out the door.

"Well," I said, giving Leo a look of my own. "I better go see Max." Then I walked down the hall and went to the guest room where Max was staying. When I walked in, Max was siting on the floor, playing with Thor and Iron Man. The rest of the Marvel Avengers were laying on the ground.

I watched Max have Thor beat Iron Man to the ground. "You know," I said, "I think that Iron Man would win." Max whizzed around. "Not in this game," he said. I laughed. "Oh really," I said. "Who would win between us. You or me?"I asked. "Me!" Max said. "You wanna test that theory?" I said, picking him up by the legs and tossing him over my shoulder.

Then he flipped himself out of my arms and onto the bed. I fell on the bed and Max tackled me. We started laughing. Then suddenly he got off of me and stopped laughing.

He pointed to the letters with our names on them that Sammy had given me.Max's letter was on top. "Those are our relocation letters. Sammy stopped by to give them to us. They will tell us what orphanage we will be going to," I said. "Oh," was all that Max said.

He understood more than I wish he would at his age. It was both good and bad for everything. It was bad because he needed to be a kid. It was good because it helped him cope with something better.

"How about we open them at the same time," I said. "I guess," Max said. "Alright," I said handing him his letter. "Open," I said. I

I tore mine open. It read:

Dear Ms. Lexi Adams, 

You have been placed in St. Janet's Boarding Home. You will be placed with a roommate who has been here for a while and can show you the ropes. A copy of the main rules and dress code is attached. Your room has already been set. Some of the other kids  here with you will be Suzy, Toby, Kayla, Nathan, and Maya. We await you arrival.

Johnathan J. Phillips.

WHAT!?! I was going to a boarding home. How could this have happened. I will be ripped to shreds there. Always trying to sneak away and break the rules to protect the others coming from Aunt Betty's. What about Max. He couldn't' be going somewhere without me.

"Where are you going buddy?" I asked. "I'm going to Home for the Lost. It says here that all of my friends are going there as well!!" Max exclaimed. "Why aren't you on here?" he asked me. "Because I'm going somewhere else," I answered. "No, but your my big sister," Max said. Then he came over and curled up on my lap.

After he fell asleep, I slipped off to Leo's room. Leo was on his desk. I didn't care what he was writing, so I just grabbed my PJ"s and came back. When I came back, Leo was already in his clothes. We talked for a while and then went to bed.

After a half an hour, I got thirsty. So I went out to the kitchen. When I got there, I saw Sammy talking to Leo's parents.  "I need you guys to sign here and here. Then you guys can bring him over to the orphanage tomorrow to pack up the rest of his stuff." Sammy said.

I cleared my throat and stepped out. The Daniels looked at me in disbelief. "Lexi," Mr. Daniels started, "I can explain." "Really," I shouted, "cause it looked like you were adopted Max! Is that true!" "Yes," Mr. and Mrs. Daniels said in unison. I shook my head then stormed out of the room.

I got dressed in the clothes from yesteray. Then I grabbed my bag and walked right out of the front door, not even bothering to look back.