7500 Miles

You think you have a long commute to work? Try 7500 miles! I'm still not there yet either. It's been a few days since I've written for obvious reasons. The last few days have been rough and very tiring, but the people I meet are a constantly a morale boost. I've made more friends in such a short time than I have in my entire life.

 I'm learning a bond can form very quickly under adverse conditions. No, I'm not in any battle conditions or dangerous situations (yet) but this is a very stressful, lonely and potentially life threatening undertaking. This journal is becoming less about my experiences and more about who I meet. Tight knit groups are forming and people who are annoying are quickly becoming ostracized. I mean the field I work in is Information Technology so socially inept people abound but in this situation it really truly can be your downfall. I'm rambling so let me continue the adventure from where I left off...

 The day I left the CRC I swore that if there was any ways possible I would avoid it all costs. The last few days had wore me down to the point where I felt like I was becoming numb, this was not just a personal experience but a shared one among the many I had talked to. The lack of sleep, the 12 or more hour days and the extreme weather were all catalysts. The people who were right next to me was what kept me going, not a competitive objective but one of comraderie and wanting to see it through just because the person next to you is doing the same. I think the Army has gotten this right so cramped conditions, close living spaces and shared eating environments was exactly what we needed to ensure our commitment.

 I had been told that soldiers didn't like civilians or held a sort of resentment because we did our job for alot of money and they had to protect our sorry asses, thats bullshit. I met so many soldiers and hung out with quite a few and there was no resentment whatsoever. While they would make a comment or two about the crazy amount of money we make for doing this job they also knew how essential we are to them, we support them and do our jobs to the utmost of our ability so that they can do their jobs as efficiently and safely as possible. While I would never carry a weapon next to them in battle, I still do everything I can to make sure they come home to their families just like I wanted to come home to mine. I wanted to dispel that rumor at least in ym experience before I moved on.

 We were all shuttled to Freedom Hall which was the launching point for all leaving on deployment, a huge gathering place for all, military and civilian alike before we were ushered to our plane. For security reasons I cannot discuss details but I will say it was an imposing hall with tables lined with books, candy and other knick knacks donated to our cause from organization such as Wal-Mart, but many others and individuals as well. Let me stop thank them now because I grabbed two interesting looking novels and and a bunch of candy to enjoy. Little things like that reminded everyone that we were being thought of and we needed to know we aren't alone.

 I keep saying this but I really am being careful about any descriptions I put in this journal about what goes on and really my camera is not getting much use because of rules in place. So if you feel like I'm skipping alot of the cool things you would like to hear, and I would like to tell, I apologize but you will just have to experience it yourself if you want to know.

The flight there was as comfortable as it couldve been for a 20 hour flight. Before I get into this I would like to introduce David G. I met him at the CRC in the last few days of it and while he was not bunked with me or did I have any close proximity to each other, we clicked immediately. He was prior service, I'm unsure of the amount of time he spent in the Army but he was in Afghanistan for a few years, he talked about it freely and had plenty to recount. He was infantry so he had experienced eveything in a war that you could experience, he talked of long patrols that lasted for days and many dangerous situations, and yes even of lost friends. He was very serious when it came to that but other than that he was not serious about much else. That suited me just fine.