38

A C E

I found her clothes at the wardrobe though. Her bed was made and there were shampoos and soaps and other bottles in her bathroom.

I opened the window even it was heating out; I've been over freezing at the company's air-condition all day.

The door was banged open downstairs; it hit the walls. I tiptoed downstairs and looked who came home. There have never been robbers and thieves at town but who knows, right? I just wanted to make sure and besides this isn't my home. If anything I was a trespasser but the Wesley family lets me in even they aren't home. "Feel at home" Mr. Alex would say, "You and Sam have been very good friends with Sarah."  and I'd say, "Of course, she's kinda nice." and we would both laugh.

Mr. Alex and I were Sarah's biggest annoying companies she'd ever had. When we were both home we would come to her room to just annoy her and  it always ends up with pillow fighting between Sarah and I and her father then he would walk downstairs to watch television. But today, Mr. Alex smile less, laugh less but he hugs her wife more and help her more and eats the foods she creates more. When I say food, I meant vegetables. He said he started to be a vegetarian for his own good.

"I left the milk at the car." someone said. A woman, sounds kinda familiar.

I rushed down the stairs that I almost trip under my feet. "Oh my God what is that?" I heard Mrs. Wesley said. Only seven steps away. Why do they have to put a carpet to the stairs. Really, it would be the cause of my death.

I found Sam closing the door and they found me catching for breath at the end of the stairs. Heavily breathing. "You sounded like...." I said and stopped.

"How did you get in?" Mrs. Wesley said, "I forgot to leave the keys and the window oh my God." she uses the word OMG too often now. Well, it was acceptable because I crashed their windows.

She gave me a death stare.

"I'm sorry for the window. I'll fix it don't worry. This afternoon." I said and helped them to put the groceries at the island of the kitchen.

"Still waiting?" Sam asked and peeled off the potatoes that Rina washed from the sink. "I have this instinct that its coming."

"Don't you think Mrs. Wesley?" I asked her mother, you know? Mother instincts.

"I think so, yeah?" she respond shortly. She was always like that or at times she's always silent when we talk about her daughter. I understand, she couldn't take the fact that her daughter ran away or having no idea what happened to her.

"How do you say so, Sam?"

"I don't know? Its like an instinct. A best friend instinct? You? You don't feel it? You're not her best friend then!" she said. I started to pull my sleeves up to wash the other vegetable while Mrs. Wesley was preparing the stove and the other ingredients.

"Hey! Mitch Albom came to the Bookstore I always drive by!" Sam randomly brought up. He was her favorite author. She said he's always been an inspiration for her not to give up on life and he kept her faith stronger.

"Did you see him?!" I said. Last time we drove miles and miles away just to buy his book called 'The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto' because she couldn't find any at the bookstore she was talking about right now. I mean the book just launched the day before that day and she was expecting that London would quickly have it at the bookstores. After a week or so she texted me, on rage, that the bookstore had it. She said, "the staff would've advised me to wait and asked for my information for reservation!" I'd replied, "None of us thought that though. You were too stoked to think about it! You already have it and you already read it over a night! Jesus Christ don't be mad about it Sam. I'm gonna beat you out when I see you."

Of course I did not beat her out.

When Sarah went missing, we've been closer than before and knew each other more. We were the bestfriends, like three of us, but more often it was always Sam and Sarah & Sarah and I would always have a bonding time. We had separate lives back then; college. And now, I'm back but she was gone.

Maybe God gave us this time to knew each other. To know more better things about each other. Other than fighting over little things. Not real fight though, that fights you do when you're kinda annoyed and irritated. Playful fights.

"Of course! I stayed the whole day for it!" she said and turn around to see me. "He was so kind Ace! He was!"

"Oh, Mitch Albom again? I have seen books of Sarah wrote by him and I've tried Timekeeper. It was really heart warming." Mrs. Wesley said and continued slicing the potatoes and onions.

"Oh, try Tuesdays with Morrie and Sam?! Are you freaking serious?!" I asked while pouring the juice powder at the pitcher and added water. I stir it.

She turned around once again with a poker face and said, "When did I lie about Albom, Ace?" and he blew air through her nose.

"You're an avid fan."

"You know you should read his works. You might as well want to borrow some of mine or Sarah's if Mrs. Wesley would let you." Sam said.

"You know.... I'd love to but I have a pile of drafts that have to read. I hope you don't forget what my job is Samantha."

"Oh yeah, right."

She forgot. Again. Always.