[ chapter fifteen ]

Dedicated to EmbracetheCrazy for all the support and love she's given this story :]

New chapter! i hope this makes up for the month-long delay on the last update :]

Chapter Fifteen 

            I couldn’t find it in myself to get drunk or to even take a sip of the beer for that matter. Maybe it was Austin’s somewhat threatening warning about driving with a hangover; maybe it was just my conscience. Either way, that red Solo cup made it up to my lips several times only to be put back down.

            Brandon and Thom, on the other hand, had no qualms about getting drunk. Thom, downing two cups within the first five minutes, was a little more open than Brandon about drinking, but Brandon eventually caved and downed a few cups. Surprisingly, Brandon was quite the lightweight, but he kept going anyways.

            Out of fear, I did my best to stay away from Brandon while keeping an eye on him. God knows what goes through his head when he’s drunk, but I certainly did not want to be on the receiving end of it again. At the same time, I didn’t want any other girl to get the wrong impression of him, even if they probably know him better than I do.

            “Hey. Keeping an eye on Brandon?”

            I turned around and saw Jason standing behind me with a cup. “Yeah. I’m somewhat concerned.”

            Jason lightly smiled. “You saw the worst of him. He’s actually the most chivalrous out of all of us,” he remarked.

            “What about you?”

            “I’m just a little piece of shit who gets into fights too often. Though I will say this: Thom is the worst of us. He’s a womanizer when he’s drunk and sober.”

            “I figured.”

            “I’m surprised he hasn’t tried to hit on you yet.”

            “I just met him this morning,” I protested.

            Jason chuckled. “Doesn’t matter to Thom. It’s all the same.” He paused for a moment before continuing. “And you’re kind of off limits.”

            I bit my lip. “Not off limits, strictly,” I drawled. “Just not ready.”

            Jason nodded. “I get it. Want to go outside?”

            I’m not an expert on party language, but I’m pretty sure going outside was code for private conversation. “What about Brandon? Shouldn’t we stay and watch him? He looks pretty tipsy.”

            “Unless he’s emotionally distraught beyond belief, he’s good at figuring out his limit. Like I said, you just happened to walk in when he was at his worst.”

            I cringed. In no way, shape, or form was I ready to have a private conversation with Jason. Out of the three roommates, all three of whom are still almost complete strangers to me, Jason had the most intimidating appearance. With his dark hair and his earrings, he looked like one of those bad boys straight out of a teen fiction novel. All he needed to complete the look were some scars.

            Yet something about him told me he was not just a hot-tempered douche. Maybe he saw himself that way, but there was a quiet understanding about him. It was the same quiet understanding that convinced me to tell my entire life story concerning Austin. It was subtle, but it was the strongest thing about him.