Chapter 1

Elizabeth

Chance sighed and the sword he had been holding hit the floor. "Now I know you can't see, so let me tell you just how much this outing sucked."

His footsteps drew closer but were slightly muffled and had a squishing sound to them, as he walked through blood I presume.

"There were so many of them that now you can't walk five steps without bumping into a body, I'm covered in claw and bite marks, and there is blood everywhere. And I'm dying of thirst too, because someone," his voice quieted as he turned the other way, I imagine to glare at Jesse, "wouldn't let me hunt first. And all this blood is just laying here, teasing me, because I can't drink any of it!"

"Blood blood everywhere and how his mind did shrink, blood blood everywhere and not a drop to drink," Jesse said in rhythm.

I laughed quietly. "Nice adaption of the poem."

"Haha," Chance said sarcastically, "Just laugh at my pain. My physical pain."

I smiled and shook my head. "Well it's your fault the fight started in the first place. We just wanted to talk to the clan, you're the one who attacked them."

He growled. "Well they should know better than to-"

"We brought a human into a house full of vampires," Jesse said, a small laugh in his voice. "Of course they would ask if she was some kind of snack."

Chance growled again. "Lizzy is not a snack."

"Good to know, because I was wondering about that," I said sarcastically, though I'm pretty sure they just ignored me.

"Well I know she's not a snack," Jesse growled back. "But they had no clue and a simple 'no' would have sufficed. But instead you had to tackle the clan leader's son and start a huge fight."

"Well maybe if you had-"

"Stop!" I yelled, narrowing my eyes forward and crossing my arms. "So this one was a bust and you two killed an entire clan-"

"They wouldn't stop attacking us!" Chance yelled in his defense.

"Shush!" I yelled back, holding up a hand. He made a pouting sound then was quiet. "But we need to get out of here and away from all the evidence before someone finds us."

They sighed then muttered their agreements. "And by the way," Jesse said, slowly making his way toward me, "the mess isn't as bad as Chance makes it sound. There are only eight dead vamps in here."

I rolled my eyes then froze for a moment. "Wow. When did I become okay with people dying?"

"Not people," Chance suddenly said right behind me, making me jump. He held his hands on my waist and leaned closer to my ear. "Evil vampires. There's a difference; it's okay for evil vampires to die."

My cheeks heated up and I grinned. "So if you turn evil, I get to stake you?"

Chance fake gasped, letting go as he moved back. Jesse smirked. "Sorry El, but I've already called dibs on getting to be the one to stake him."

"Harsh," Chance said, sounding even farther away.

I smiled then turned my head to the side. "So, eh, could someone help me to the door? I'd rather not trip over a body and land in a puddle of blood."

"I'll help," Jesse said and a second later I felt him taking my arm and leading me away. "Chance is too busy admiring his work."

I blinked, turning my head in the direction I last heard Chance. "Do what?"

Chance growled yet again. "Shut up! I'm just making sure everyone's dead."

I frowned, not liking the way that sounded. "Well hurry up; we have things to do. Jack gave me a week to go off alone with you two and gather information and that week is nearly up."

"I still don't see why you don't just officially move out of his place and live with us," Chance said, moving closer.

I held a hand out toward him, waiting until he took my hand so I knew exactly where to turn my really? look.

"Not too long ago we told him that not only had I been spending the past several days alone with two vampires, which do exist, but that millions more wanted me dead and we had to fake my death to survive. I think it's understandable that he wants me to live with him where he can keep an eye on me."

"You do spend most of your time with us though."

I paused for a second, turning my head to the side.

"Okay," I said to Jesse, letting go of Chance. "If Chance wasn't standing right in front of me, I would have sworn you were him just now."

Chance laughed once and Jesse made a small growl like noise. "Just stating the obvious. No need to be mean and compare me to him."

They started to argue again and I quickly held my hands up. "Seriously, stop! We need to get out of here and figure out what our next move is."

The boys sighed then Chance took my arm, leading me out of the back door and away from the house while Jesse stuck close to my other side.

"What are we going to do now?" Chance asked.

Jesse sighed. "Well I don't really know. It'd help if a certain blind someone would share all of her visions."

I'd been having more visions than normal lately, some of them relating to our mission and others, not so much. But I hadn't been sharing very many with the twins. A few of them were kind of personal, but mostly, I just didn't want to change the course of the events for the things I was counting on.

"I told you," I said, shooting a look Jesse's way. "I can't share all of them, not yet. If I do then it'll throw things out of balance and everything will change. Then who knows if we'll be able to save the world."

"That's another thing," Chance said, pulling me to a stop for a moment. "Is that just a figure of speech or are we literally saving the world?"

I chewed my lip for a moment. "The way I see it, yes, we are literally saving the world. Because if we fail, more people will die than you can imagine and the world will completely change."

Both boys were dead silent for a while before Jesse finally spoke. "So the world is relying on us."

"No pressure or anything," Chance added.

I smiled, reaching out and hooking my arms around theirs after only a couple of tries, then started walking again. "Yeah, but I bet we can do it." I smiled then continued, acting very dramatic. "You do have me of course, and I'm the most important person on this team."

"Excuse me?" Chance asked with a grin. "Who just took down all those vampires while 'little important girl' stood still, doing nothing?"

"Yeah," Jesse added, sounding less enthusiastic but still smiling. "That was us, sweetheart."

I grinned and nodded. "So I'm the brains and you two are the muscle. I can deal with that." They laughed in return.

The rest of the walk back was silent as we all thought about what was to come.