18. Drama Llamas Share a Room

"Are you sure you're alright?" Uncle Tom asked for the seventeenth time. I sighed in reply. It was only nine p.m., but I was exhausted. Apparently, playing a soccer match with a bunch of highly energized kids and trying to watch a movie with them afterwards really drains your stamina.

"I am," I reassured him. "It's just one night. And besides, we got inside the building almost an hour before all the crazy shit started."

"There are rumors that a few people have died," Uncle Tom said heavily. "Anyway, I should go. All the employees are stuck at the diner with me. We're trying to see if stuffing lettuce into Ziploc bags will make them passable pillows."

"Damn, that's creative."

"Goodnight, hun."

"Goodnight. And..."

"And what?"

"Thank you."

"What for?"

I tried to keep my voice from wobbling. "For taking me in after...you know. Staying here and spending time with these kids...even the simplest of gestures make them so happy! I just couldn't help but wonder what I would be like if...if you..."

"Meg Riley, are you crying?"

"No," I replied, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Good. It was my responsibility to look after you. And I'm proud of who you've become. Although, maybe with a little less cursing and a little more positive thoughts."

I laughed a little, before noticing Alex slink into the room, probably finished with a call from his father. "Ok, bye then."

"Bye," Uncle Tom said gently before hanging up. I mustered a "everything's fine" look before turning to Alex.

"The way they treat you, it's like you're seven. I swear they keep asking me the same questions over and over."

"Tell me about it," I snorted. "Although sometimes, even I think you're seven."

"Unfortunately, no one cares."

"Of course they don't. God forbid anybody mistake Sir High-Strong Alex the Valiant to be immature."

"That was a great name," he said defensively, "better than that name you came up with for the magician in your story. Wai-foo? Really? He sounds like one of your horse-sneezes."

I didn't get the chance to do anything more than narrow my eyes at him before Claire showed up. "We've fixed up a room for you! Come on," she gestured at us before heading out into the corridor and towards the stairs.

"I hope you guys find it comfortable. We don't have many extra rooms, or any extra beds. One of you will have to sleep on the couch," she added as we reached the third floor landing, and she pushed open the door. The room was small but cozy, with a single bed against one wall, a small table in the middle with a pitcher of water and a few glasses, and a couch next to the other wall.

"I'm sorry if it's inconvenient," Claire's voice had a hint of worry in it.

"It's fine. Thanks for everything, Claire, really." I said earnestly. Claire beamed before hugging both of us. She then bade us goodnight and walked off towards her own room across the hall.

"Dibs on the bed!" Alex and I exclaimed at the same moment.

"I'm the girl. I should get the bed."

"Yeah, you're a girl who's more than capable of toughening things out. So take the couch."

"I saw the bed first."